Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh. Leaky radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Ugh. Leaky radiator?

I can't say I'm happy with my car right now...

The 951 left me a puddle of coolant about the size of my fist, right underneath the edge (end tank) of the radiator on the driver side. I can't tell if the thermofan switch is leaking, but I can see around the base of the radiator where that rubber seal/insulator/whatever seems to be damp.

This is classic leaky end tanks, no? Is this an age thing or could bad motor mounts have exacerbated the problem?

What is the cheapest proper repair, replace the radiator ($$$$$$$), remove it and get the end tanks repaired (is that possible?), or ???
Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a coolant overflow hose nipple at the top of the radiator that cracks or the gasket leaks. Replace and tighten.

The thermofan switch gasket leaks. Replace and carefully tighten. If you strip the threads, JB Weld is your friend.

The seam between the plastic and metal leaks. Some have had success with just pinching the tabs together. Never use a sealant.

eBay has used radiators or place a WTB on the forums in parts wanted.

If you take out the radiator, backflush. Clean the fins. Never use a HD (Prestone) coolant cleaner.

GL
John_AZ
Old 01-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 968 radiator is a little bit twisted when installed because I think the core support is a little bent. When I bolted back in the rubber mounts on the top I had to slightly force it to fit. Well when it got really cold, like 15 degrees F, antifreeze started to puddle up about the same amount as you describe. That's when I kicked myself for force fitting the radiator because I knew the twisting had broken the seal on the end tank just enough to leak when everything shrinks in cold weather. A new 968 radiator is over $500 so I thought that a repair attempt was worth it. I pulled out the radiator, (not easy on an automatic car) and looked just in case there were cracks. No cracks, so I took a large adjustable pliers and CAREFULLY re-crimped the aluminum crimp tabs along both sides of the radiator. I could not really tell if I was really crimping it or not, no movement to watch for. I just used hand force on rather large pliers. Put it back in and it has been down to zero here and no leaks yet. I do not know if this method works for a radiator that leaks under pressure, but it did for my cold leaking condition. And it is a lot of work to take it out and get it back in there when not sure if the backyard repair is going to hold.

Verify that it is really leaking from the seams before trying anything like this. Like it was said above, the fan switch gasket could be leaking or even the screw in nipple right above it. I had one of those nipples leak. It is difficult to see anything in there so clean it up with water and run it and shut it off to see where the green stuff is starting to come from.

Also when mine leaked in the cold, it leaked onto the radiator core support and ran to the passenger side making it look like the passenger side was leaking. The passenger side was just the down hill side so be mindful of that when checking.

Quick Reply: Ugh. Leaky radiator?