Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to measure caster (longacre gauge)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Liftedbronco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to measure caster (longacre gauge)

So I bought this: Longacre Digital C/C Gauge w AccuLevel™ and Quick Set™ Adapter — 78295

I can measure camber and fully understand all the concepts, but I cant figure out how exactly to use the gauge to measure caster.

The instructions are here http://www.longacreracing.com/instru.../78295v4PI.pdf. My issue is that you have to turn the wheels 15 degrees in each direction and to be very accurite wiht this. Ok how do I do that? Does the gauge somehow measure that for me?

Maybe someone could do a step by step for me?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned to do alignments with that same gauge and a few other pieces of equipment. Measuring caster was a major pain in the ***. I had the benefit of using turn plates which has a scale on it that tells you wheel angle, but even with that its a pain in the neck.

Im not sure which digital gauge you have, but one of them has 15 degree slants on the outter case. This basically you set it so those planes of the slants are parallel with the car to get the 15 degree angle. I actually used a quick set adapter like you have that has a bubble gauge on the bottom. It has those 15 degree slants machined into the bubble gauge housing, same concept pretty much. Adjusting it to a specific value is very tedious, basically what i do now is set the caster to max by eyeballing it, then measuring and evening it out as needed.

If you dont have any of these options with your equipment, turn plates are really the only way to go.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the Fastrax ones... and it has 15 degree angled cuts on the end of the little level thing. So, I just turn the wheel until front flat is parallel to the center line of the car, zero-out the level, then turn the wheel until the rear flat is parallel to the center line of the car. Then the level will show the degrees of caster.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Liftedbronco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, well i have the bubble level. Ill have to see. Thatd be an easy solution.

Quick Reply: How to measure caster (longacre gauge)