Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:06 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do NOT use a torpedo heater in an enclosed space. They are NOT rated for indoor use!

I have two of the DuraHeat Kerosene Heaters, one for each garage, or both in the same garage if I want to heat it up fast or if it's below 0°F. You can purchase them at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053). When I'm planning to work in the garage, I fire one up at full blast and let it preheat the garage for about 30 minutes, then turn it on low to maintain temp. Within an hour, I can usually work in my shirt sleeves. My garages are both very large, 2.5+ cars with high ceilings, but both also are insulated and with insulated doors, so YMMV.

For Kerosene, you need to buy a Kerosene safe container, you technically should not be putting it into a conventional red gasoline can, as kerosene and gasoline mixture is unstable and explosive. What I did was buy two of the 5 gallon gerry cans from Home Depot. It's expensive (like $7 a gallon) but you're buying the container for re-use. I now refill them at my local Speedway. Pump kerosene can be a little hard to find, but there are several gas stations in my neighborhood that have pump kerosene for about $3 a gallon. I would start by calling all of the Speedways, as I know several stations locally that have pump Kerosene. Meijer does too, but I don't know if you have Meijer in your part of IL.

These heaters are great, they work on radiated heat basis, so they warm up everything in the garage and the heat radiates off of the objects, basically turns the whole garage into a heater. Very effective. They come with a battery operated pump, and they're supposed to light with a battery-operated ignitor. My ignitors never work because the batteries go flat too fast in the cold Michigan winters, so I always light them with a small butane torch. They are easy to move around, even full, and they are rated for safe use indoors. No fumes, no dangerous CO2, no burning eyes. They hold about 2 gallons of fuel, and on the low setting will burn for probably 8 hours or more.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with your house insurance. Mine specifically stated no fuel powered heaters in the garage.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of thoughts from a contractor....

Since we don't know the specifics of the OP's garage statements like " that won't work" etc. should be taken with a grain of salt.

As far as heating goes there are alot of options which depend on the construction of your garage, your potential fuel sources, how often you'll want to have it heated and your budget.

Electrical heaters will probably be pretty expensive to operate on more than an occassional basis but are very easy to use.

Gas /propane heaters will be lower in cost to operate and can heat a larger area but will probably require professional installation. This is what I'm going to install in my shop when I get some extra cash.
Here's the one I've plumbed for...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6365_200316365

Northern Tool has a bunch of other options you may want to check them out.

As a temporary solution I have been using a kerosene torpedo heater that will get my 33' X 30" X 16" work bay warm in about 10 minutes and because it is very well insulated will hold the heat for about an hour. BUT like said above it will kill you if you leave it on too long so you have to be very careful using it.

What ever you decide to do it will probably benefit you greatly (if you haven't already) to insulate the ceiling and walls if at all possible.

Here's a couple of pics of my shop, notice the flue vent in the ceiling of the second picture.
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 AM
n_hall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want your garage.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 AM
n_hall
Racer

jim, i'm pretty sure i'll be getting that heater from you. i'll let you know probably tomorrow. what days are you available? i'd like to get it, if i am, maybe thursday or wednesday (should be getting my parts then).
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
kingston944
Racer

Nice garage smlporsche. Mine is only the to small should of built bigger . I didn't know when I built my garage that I would some day have a project car . But after driving my friends car (ontario turbo ) I went out and bought one the next month but now thinking back I should of gone with the TURBO oh well still enjoying the na944 ride. Take care it is nice hearing everyones thoughts and seeing dream garages like smlporsche. Your not Jay Leno are you LOL.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kingston944
..... Take care it is nice hearing everyones thoughts and seeing dream garages like smlporsche. Your not Jay Leno are you LOL.

I wish !

I've been dreaming and planning of one for some time.
If you really want to see some amazing garages and get some great ideas check out...

http://www.garagejournal.com/

Go to the forum section where they show off their projects. I could live in many of them very nicely...

Quick Reply: garage heater