Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked exhaust == LOUD

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 02:17 AM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post cracked exhaust == LOUD

I was driving home tonight and all of a sudden...

WAAAAA!!!!!!!

It sounded like all hell was breaking loose under the car. There had been a bit of exhaust noise lately coming from under the car, but nothing too bad. But now it's like a freakin' jet engine.

I looked under the car when I got home, which was just a few blocks, luckily. And sure enough, the exhaust pipe had cracked right in front of the cat. It's totally split, just behind the hanger, but in front of the cat.

Is this something I can have a local muffler place fix? how much should I expect to pay?
Old 09-11-2002, 04:01 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Just get a pipe coupler and clamp it on, or even a flexible joint. If you clamp it, drill 2 holes on each end of the coupler pipe thru to the stock pipe and put a sheet metal screw in it so that the main pipe does not slide off. Sometimes the clamps still don't hold it tight enough. It happened to me twice on the stock exhausts. I think that the factory exhaust needs a flexible joint to begin with.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
HOLY COW that is exactly where mine split. No sign whatsoever of rust, just straight split right through, like someone welded through it.

That is weird. Must be a weak spot on these cars, to have two happen in a matter of days.

I used a "muffler repair kit" and the metal clamp stuff that came in it, and it's not going anywhere. Pretty tight (as in physically tight). Only took 30 mins and about $6. Maybe later I'll upgrade the cat or something, but for now it works like a champ.

Hope it works out,
Matt
Old 09-11-2002, 10:38 AM
ram_one
Racer

Mine did the exact same thing. Took it to Midas and the guy welded it back together for $30. Lasted a couple of years that way. Make sure your exhaust hangars are all in place and secure.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:58 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

mine cracked after the cat... took to "muffler man" in port orange, fl, guy welded it for $20 and i was on my way, still holding today, almost a year later. i'd look into welding with the proper stuff, then check all your hangars, and your balance shafts. the exhaust can be shaken apart/weakened by an improperly aligned balance shaft. i'm sure bad motor mounts could produce the same effect at idle.

take care,
Mike
Old 09-11-2002, 12:31 PM
MCNETT
Intermediate

I had the exact same thing happen with my '89 944S2. It souns like a Harley on steroids. I went the welding route as well, for $60.00 it held for more than a year for me and has been holding for the guy that I sold it to as well.
-Mike
Old 09-11-2002, 12:52 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

My motor mounts are pretty bad, I need to do those soon. I'm sure the vibration from that didn't help one bit.

Common failure spot, it sounds like. Sometimes to add to the great 944 FAQ in the sky.

Quick Reply: cracked exhaust == LOUD