Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KLA Monoball Strut Top Mounts - much better than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default KLA Monoball Strut Top Mounts - much better than stock?

Is there a big difference between handling with the KLA monoballs over the factory mounts?

The PO fitted the KLAs to my S2. Ever since I have had the car, these things have made popping sounds, particularly low speed tight turns. They do appear to be of very agricultural design in that they use a spherical bearing axially which is taking the full load from the vehicle weight on each strut. The spring hats also seem to be getting slowly eaten by the turning (or not turning) of the bearing on the hats.

I'm thinking of going back to the original (late style) mounts (which I have). The bearings in these are still in good condition. The car is used mainly on the track, and I have 350 front springs. Will I notice any significant difference in going back to factory rubber mounts?

Ultimately I'll go for some GC or similar camber plates.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:02 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

I've got them and I think they're great and have no issues with them... that seems unusual to me. You may want to pull them and check them.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Is there a big difference between handling with the KLA monoballs over the factory mounts?

The PO fitted the KLAs to my S2. Ever since I have had the car, these things have made popping sounds, particularly low speed tight turns. They do appear to be of very agricultural design in that they use a spherical bearing axially which is taking the full load from the vehicle weight on each strut. The spring hats also seem to be getting slowly eaten by the turning (or not turning) of the bearing on the hats.

I'm thinking of going back to the original (late style) mounts (which I have). The bearings in these are still in good condition. The car is used mainly on the track, and I have 350 front springs. Will I notice any significant difference in going back to factory rubber mounts?

Ultimately I'll go for some GC or similar camber plates.

You should check the installation and all the suspension components. I have had KLA on my race car (camber plates were not allowed in my class until this year) for 4-5 yrs and have none of the issues you mention. How can the hat (assuming upper struts hats?) be eaten by turning of the bearing? I have Bilstein and the hats are not even close to the upper struts mounts. What length spring are you using? I have 800lbs 8" long front springs and no helpers. If I lift the front, there is a popping sound after the car is off the jack when the spring pops back into the hat, but nothing while turning.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a bad installation binding the bearing. If not, I would "upgrade" to top quality (Lindsey/KLA/ Ground Control/ Weltmeister) camber plates. Even good plates are cheaper than OEM strut mounts, and they will make your alignments easier (maybe cheaper).
Old 01-02-2010, 10:24 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm thinking of getting some Vorshlag spring perches: http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...products_id=29

They used to list them separately on the website.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got the KLA solid upper mounts on my 951, no issues at all, and much cheaper than the factory part.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

we replaced the strut mounts with KLAs on my 951S to get rid of the low speed popping. didnt help. turns out the subframe bolts were a little loose.

go under the car with a bigole socket and tighten everything. YMMV

Quick Reply: KLA Monoball Strut Top Mounts - much better than stock?