Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohh.. the horror! What to do now?(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003 | 06:46 PM
Danno
Race Director

Ouch! At least you walked away from it.

"I didn't see any sense in getting comprehensive if I only paid four grand for the car."

Yeah, that makes sense. Adding comprehensive to my insurance would raise the rates by $1000/year. After four years of paying for insurance, I could've bought another car! So if you get into total wrecks with more than 4-years between them, you're ahead of the game!

It looks repairable to me. Even the fenders can be brought back into shape. And if you went straight into the tree, the frame should be OK as well.
Old 03-18-2003 | 07:21 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Hi there, Dsalillas!

I think it looks worse than it is. Remember, these are unibodies, and from what I can see on yours, that isn't damaged. I'd get her fixed, and get the used parts.

I think what is throwing people is that the hood crumpled - well, the hood is supposed to give, when hit!

When my car was hit, I had Porsche do an inspection on it, and although it looked bad (Nissan Pathfinder hit my left front fender, took it out in front of the wheel, and tossed the hood a little), the unibody was intact, so I had it repaired, repainted the fender, and colorblended it with Glasco paint, and she looked great!

Best of luck,

- Julie
Old 03-18-2003 | 07:33 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

The one thing to remember if you do fix it up is this: plan on keeping it. Resale will be pretty much shot to hell at that point, and if you spend $2k fixing it up, and it was worth $5k before, it might be worth $3k afterwards. On the other hand, you can always part it out down the road, and with all the 16V heads kicking the bucket lately, that part alone is worth quite a bit. If I were you, I'd at least consider fixing it. Especially if things like the clutch, tranny, interior, etc. were still in good shape.
Old 03-18-2003 | 07:50 PM
Magnus
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by *Michael*:
<strong>Oh man..I am afraid that totaled. Looks pretty bad</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I second that, this doesn't look good. I think the car has frame damage and will require a lot of work if fixed.

//Magnus
Old 03-18-2003 | 10:05 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Can you see any body creases inside the hood beside the engine? That's where mine bent.

Quick Reply: Ohh.. the horror! What to do now?(PICS)