Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguishers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 10:32 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best (most cost effective) place to mount the extinguisher would be on a harness or roll bar brace. Otherwise a seat mount is probably best if you do track events as they frequently specify metal to metal (this assumes you don't want to cut through the carpet and bolt it to the floor). Another place I've seen them mounted is bolted on to the back of the rear seat back so they are located near to hand when the seatback is folded forward. This involves anchoring them in plywood or fibreboard where it isn't easy to access to simply bolt it in. I considered mounting one there but could never find an anchor I could trust.

A solution I first tried was to scavange a hardware store for bits to make a stiff enough piece to bolt the bracket that would slide under the seat rail bolts. Make sure it's strong and use a double strap bracket because a good extinguisher is heavy and you definitely don't want it flying around inside the car. Even in the rear wells I would worry about it coming loose if the car rolled enough.

I don't believe I've ever seen a CO2 extinguisher small enough to be mounted in the car (like 10 BC). The ones I've seen would be awfully bulky for track use.
Old 11-17-2001, 02:09 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Found this browsing the web - maybe we can get John to see if we can arrange for another deal?

Date: Fri Sep 1, 2000 3:12 pm
Subject: Fwd: [audi20v] Rennlist Group Purchase - Halon Extinguishers/ Brey-Krause Mounts

Date: Fri Sep 1, 2000 3:03 pm
Subject: [audi20v] Rennlist Group Purchase - Halon Extinguishers/ Brey-Krause Mounts
To: "Audi 20V" <audi20v@r...>

Rennlist and OG Racing is pleased to announce the immediate availability of
2.5 lb. HALON Fire Extinguishers and Brey-Krause seat mounts (does not
require any drilling!) at drastically reduced prices. (We are really sorry -
but this offer is valid for US Rennlist customers only due to HALON Import
restrictions outside the USA.)

The products/prices include:
2.5 Lb. Halon Extinguisher - Red - $75 ea.
2.5 Lb. Halon Extinguisher - Chrome - $95 ea.
Optional 2 strap Chrome Bracket -$10 ea.
(Plus shipping of $10 per extinguisher)

Brey-Krause Mounts
69-73 911 - $58.29
For POWER SEATS - 74-on 911/all 944 - $58.29
For NON-POWER SEATS - 74-on 911/all 944 - $58.29
For 996/Boxster - $78.69
(Plus shipping of $5 per mount)

To reserve your order - please go to https://rennlist.com and select the
link from the main page entitled "Group Purchase for Halon Extinguishers..."

How to order: Please go to the order page and enter your name and
information - then select what you would like to order. After completing the
form, please wait for up to 3 hours - and please call OG Racing at (800)
934-9112 between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM EDT with your Credit Card/billing
information. They will have your order on record to expedite your purchase.

Please Note: These prices are in effect between September 1 - 10, 2000 ONLY.
This offer expires at midnight - 9/10/2000 and you MUST contact OG Racing
before 9/20/00 to complete your purchase. Payment may be made with
MasterCard, VISA and Discover (AMERICAN EXPRESS will not be accepted.)

Best to All!

John Dunkle - Rennlist

---
You are currently subscribed to audi20v as: c1j1miller@a...
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-audi20v-39449O@r...
Old 11-17-2001, 02:46 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can I go to find pictures of some of these, like the Brey Kraus, etc? I'd like to get a few ideas on how some of them look and mount...

As for some of the suggestions on hooking up the extinguisher- mine is for a street car, many of them are unnacceptable. That's why I'm still considering the velcro idea. There are, obviously, many people who just lay them in their cars, either directly on the floorboard, on the floor under the seat, etc. Obviously, one wouldn't fit under the 951 seats, nor would I EVER mount one to the back of one of the them- that would probably add a good amount of weight too, as it would more than likely require adding some wood or steel, to mount it to the frame, but I could be wrong, in any case, it would be too impracticle for me, and I think it would look awful in a street car. Velcroing one to the floor behind the passenger seat (nice and close, and easy to reach) would have to be better than just letting one sit back there. I would, also, probably be more concerned w/it becoming a projectile in a racer, than in a street car, although it could be dangerous either way.

As for putting it in the rear wells, that would be way too far away, and one would have to get out of the car to get to it, costing precious extra seconds. Much better to have it right behind the passenger seat where one could just grab it while they killed the engine and jump out w/it ready to go...

Anyone know where I can find some nice pics of some different set-ups?

Thanks,
Robby
Old 11-17-2001, 11:21 PM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

Here is the Brey-Krause web sight picture of the R-2016 Mount for a powered Seat. http://www.bkauto.com/ex2016.html
They also have a mount for non powered seats. --Roy--
Old 11-18-2001, 09:49 PM
C DeVito
Racer

Call me cheap but I made this mount from a simple piece of metal available from Home Depot and some rubber weather stripping. It connects to the back of the extinguisher mount and bolts to the stock seat belt bolts for the back seats. Positioned on top of the rear seat tunnel, it's out of the way for most passengers and easily accessible. The only drawback is dropping the rear seat back flat for hauling long stuff.
http://members.home.net/csd-952/pors.../Rearseats.JPG

Carmen
89 951
Old 04-05-2002, 02:02 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
What are the specific requirements for fire extinguishers in our cars (i.e. type, size, materials)?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguishers...