Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure on Startup '86 n/a

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 12:26 AM
COLDBASS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low Oil Pressure on Startup '86 n/a

On the first startup for each day, I am experiencing no oil pressure for approx 30 sec to 90 sec (varies each morning)while idling. At the end of this period, the oil pressure climbs immediately (still at idle). This does not occur throughout the remainder of the day. Once the oil pressure appears the car runs smoother and quieter.

Any ideas? Press relief valve? Oil pump? Does not leak and is at the proper level. Motor has less than 1000 miles on the rebuild. Next week, the car is going back to the shop for some minor adjustments and a review of this condition.

Just looking for some insite from the folks here.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:08 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
DO NOT CONTINUE TO START THE CAR.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:08 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

DO NOT CONTINUE TO START THE CAR.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using an oil filter that has the valve in it that keeps oil in the filter after stopping the car? This allows the oil to circulate quicker. Some of the cheaper filters do not have such a valve.

-Z.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:43 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wow, my computer just threw up, and double posted an incomplete message. Wierd.

Anyway-Pressure relief valve. My '83 did the same thing. You should have the 1 piece if my brain is working. My original 3 piece would not close all the way, thus allowing the oil to seep out of the filter. The "no pressure" time is the car filling the oil filter back up. I would check here first, it is possible the oil cooler housing was not totally alligned during the rebuild.

Another possible suspect could actually be the oil filter. Use Mahle or Porsche only, others don't work well-and the cost is really not that much different.

The only other thing I have heard that could cause that situation, is an oil pump that is not sealed well. This allows the oil to drain out of the pump itself. In that case you would need to re-seal the pump to the block.

Just a couple of ideas-hope it helps.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:02 PM
COLDBASS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z-man and Ben,

Thanks for the info, this makes sense that oil is draining back (overnight) or out of something (filter, pump, cooler), then upon startup it is probably refilling. Yes, one last startup is all that she will get on the way to the shop. My tuner discussed pulling the motor and inspecting the crank and bearings. He probably already thought about these scenarios, I just wanted a second opinion. My fault for letting it go this far... Thanks again,

Bob

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure on Startup '86 n/a