Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More CV questions for the DIY's

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 04:11 PM
Trick
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post More CV questions for the DIY's

I have a few more questions about the CV's since that is the mode I am in right now.

In the Lame manual, err I mean Haynes manual it says to mark everything with paint before you take it apart so you can put everything back the same way it came off. That makes good sense, but how do you guys mark the stuff? I cleaned the grease off the top and used enamel and let it dry and as soon as I started cleaning them in gas it was gone. Another thing, it says nothing about and my Dad jumped my a$$ about when he saw what I was doing. He says you have to get each bearing back in the exact same spot it was in. That makes some sense also if they are wore to that area, but if they are that wore I would think they are useless anyway?

The haynes also says that once you remove the circlip that you just use your thumbs to push the half shaft out of the CV. Uh, yea right! Mine are like welded on it seems. There is no way! A gear puller might get it off. Has yours all came off easy?

For future preventive maintenance, how often would you recommend dropping the axles and re-packing them? Seems like it should be done before they start making noise.

There was something else I don't remember right now I think, if I do I will post under this.
Ok, I remembered. I got Valvoline Semi-synthetic moly based grease. Is there anything you would recommend over this?
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2002, 06:16 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, that Haynes "manual" again ! Luckily only paint this time ! When you change your belts you will need drills as well !

Ok what comes to CV-joints, there's not necessary need to but ball bearings into the same spot.If you check out the diameter of these ***** you will find out the diameter will be the same.I just checked this coupele of hours ago.These ***** usually does not worn at all.I had difficulties with one CV-joint to come out from the axel.I just used a plastic hammer and it got loose quite easily.The axels/joints i am working with are '91 951.I suppose that Valvoline grease will do it's job just fine.

Olli
'88 951
Old 08-27-2002, 12:51 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Last year I had to replace my CV joint boot. I tore and trowing grease around the underside of the car.

I took the Drivers side half shaft out and ordered a new boot. In order to get the boot off I had to take the CV joint off. O had hammer it pretty good to get it off the splines. Well when I took it out I noticed that joint was trashed. Big chunks had been worn out of the sockets for the *****. I have never noticed any noises before this. The boot was probably broken for only a few hundred miles.
Well now I also had to get new joint. I changed the other boot as well since that was easy to get to since I did not need to get the other joint off. I purposly did not clean out the other joint since I did not want to replace it too.

My point is if have to take a CV joint off it is probably work replacing it with a new one. They are not cheap at about $100 each,but my guess is that at about 100k they are all worn to certain degree. The removal/installation process was not a simple 5 min job. (I am always worried about pounding too hard so it takes me a while)

If you don't need to take it off then you best not look since it may force you to replace.

BTW I currently doing major mechanical update,
Clutch, Syncros, check on that oil leak (hopefully not oil pan gasket) and will probably replace the other 3 since I have 1/2 shafts out and they a probably worn. I really dont need to do them ... yet.

M758
Old 08-27-2002, 02:31 AM
Trick
Track Day

Thanks Olli and M758. It was not that big of deal to get the one axle out after I made my own specialty tool What took me the longest was breaking a bolt loose, getting out, taking the parking brake off, rotating the wheel, putting the parking brake on, breaking another loose, etc. Where the hell was my wife when I needed her for something I know she couldn't screw up?
Anyway, I bid on a used axle on ebay that has a 30 day money back warranty and even though it has been repacked, I plan on checking them and repacking them when I get them. And if that fails, I will buy new.
I was afraid to tap on the axle with a hammer, so I didn't really put a whole lot of effort getting that one off, but it sure b snug.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:39 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought an extra pair of axels/joints which come from wrecked '91 951 Cabriolet (shame, only 500 made..)I wanted to have an extra pair because i use my 951 during summer as a daily driver, so it will be fast job to change the complete axels/joints.
Have any of you idea which joint usually worn out more, transmission side or wheel side ??
The joints i am working with are all in perfect condition.

Olli
'88 951
Old 08-27-2002, 10:06 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Olli, it's been my experience that the wheel-side joints wear sooner. The axle w/joints is definitely the fast way to go!

Quick Reply: More CV questions for the DIY's