Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insturments light outage

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Woody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insturments light outage

Just replaced the odometer gear on an 88 944 and now the instrument lights are out. All the startup and warning lights seem to come on except for the high beam indicator.

Checked the fuse box under the hood and they looked fine. I think they were 18 and 38 and I swapped them out anyway. There are still no lights.

Are there any other fuses to look for?

At this point I am about to pull the instrument cluster out again and see if I can notice anything amiss but was looking for tips beforehand.

Thanks;
W
Old 12-23-2009, 03:05 AM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the same thing happened to me when i messed with my speedo. but only my temp guage light and half of my tach lights went out.
even though the bulb didnt look burnt, replacing the temp bulb worked. then when i tried to replace the tach light with one from the speedo to see if its the bulb, it still didnt work, and the bulb stopped working when put back into the speedo.
im thinking i have something wrong with my tach but nothing looked broken or messed up in anyway.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 AM
luftpirate
Pro

I think these lights just become really fragile as they age. Within a day or two of having my car running after sitting for a few years several just burned out with just hours of use.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Dr Whoopie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine all quit after messing with the odometer gear. I'm thinking I missed a plug someplace as all warning lights work, just not the instrument illumination with new bulbs.
Anyone know which plug we should be looking at?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Hi Gents, When you had the instruments cluster out did you take the little football shaped things out and clean the contacts up good? They are held on with nuts, and you use a jewelers common screw driver to pry them up as there are two pins on them. These make all connections. I used a Q-Tip and a dab of Brasso on the pins, nuts and the base. Be sure to clean all off with alcohol before assembly. I replaced all light bulbs even if they looked good and made sure the 4 bulb holders fit tight and put in 194 bulbs, not 194LL. You might as well do the mod to brighten the reflectors.

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/te...orhousing.html

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 12-23-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Insturments light outage