Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing steering lock/tumbler assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009 | 07:41 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Default Removing steering lock/tumbler assembly

Good Day,

I'm doing a hot rod kind of thing to my interior, and will be installing a push-button start/stop switch with proximity key. I'd like to remove the steering lock and key tumbler assembly from the steering column. It looks like there are 2 threaded bolts holding the clamped assembly together, with the bolt heads torqued off (at the factory). As a result, there's no easy way to get the bolts out, therefore the assembly off.

It looks like the easiest way to remove it would be to drill a pilot hole through the bottom of the threaded rod/bolt, then using a bolt extractor to back them out. Any other solutions?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2009 | 08:28 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Yea the bolts have to be drilled out. Not really a hard job. It's just a difficult angle with the drill. But I would love to here more about this push/start button thing! Is it going to be difficult to make work?
Old 12-20-2009 | 09:14 PM
Johnny Johnny
Instructor

Originally Posted by Po924S
But I would love to here more about this push/start button thing! Is it going to be difficult to make work?
I'm going to likely use this unit for the Start/Stop switch: http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/18. They are currently finalizing their RFID ignition control module, which allows you to use a RFID key fob to enable the ignition and acc., eliminating the need for a tumbler. I'll still be using a key for the door locks (manual), which ensures that you need both the key and the key fob. I'll use some other manual mechanism for locking the steering wheel.

This will all be mounted on a highly modified "dashless" dash.
Old 12-20-2009 | 09:26 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

This sounds really cool. Dashless dash? Pictures? Lol. If this all goes out well for you. I might look into it myself. I wonder were I could put it in my car where it would look factory? Hmmm...
Old 12-20-2009 | 09:46 PM
n_hall
Racer

when i took mine off a had a replacment i was putting on with a different keyed tumbler. i actually got in there with an oxy acetylene torch and a chisel. probably the worst way to do it. when i put the new one in i didn't have any bolts that came with it. looked around and the used cv joint bolts that i had are the same thread and are long enough, not sure if that will help or not.

Quick Reply: Removing steering lock/tumbler assembly