Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found out what the noise was. Damn, coolant everywhere......What now???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 02:13 AM
FXMaster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Found out what the noise was. Damn, coolant everywhere......What now???

does anyone know anything about how and how much a engine rebuild would be. My 44 runs fine but it is getting along in years and at 108,000 miles it needs to be refreshed. I met up with a guy with the same car but his had only 43,000 miles and I was quite startled at the difference in smoothness and quietness of his fresh motor. Would love to do that to mine. Anyone with any thoughts on what I should tackle first to freshen up my motor. Also, how much does it cost? Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:55 AM
Deepice
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do a compression test and a leak down test before deciding on a rebuild.... mileage alone is not a good enough reason to justify a rebuild.

you might just need to have the head redone.

or it could be something even simpler causing the loss of power.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:50 AM
FXMaster
Instructor

Thanks for the info Dee. But it's not a loss of power. The car pulls like a mother. It's just that it does not sound as nice as that guy with the low milage. I would like it to sound new. I know that sounds dumb but the look of the car is new. I would like it to sound new as well. I know somebody is going to be funny and say "buy a new car" heh heh.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:56 AM
Deepice
Pro

You used words like smothness and quietness.....

This leads me to think you have bad motor mounts or the Balance shafts are off a little

Do you have a slight vibration around 2900-3100 RPM?
Old 08-25-2002, 04:00 AM
FXMaster
Instructor

Dee, yeah I had that and replaced the motor mounts. Now it is smooth. I'm really refering to the smoothness of the internals of his motor vs. mine. I have a slight tick and knock. It is ever so slight but it's there and it sounds like main bearing or something that is not tight like when it was fresh from factory. Also, I have that annoying rattle coming from somewhere near the bellhousing that no feaking mechanic on this green earth can figure out what it is. I have a rebuilt tranny, new clutch, master and slave cylinders, new throw out bearing, new needle bearing, new pressure plate, basically new everything. But that freakin rattle is still there. Anyway, I wanted to rebuild the motor so I could do the superchager next year. Again any help is appreciated. thanks
Old 08-25-2002, 04:09 AM
Deepice
Pro

Well if your that picky about the motor than a rebuild is the way to go....

as far as the rattle have you checked the heat shield over cat?
Old 08-25-2002, 04:12 AM
FXMaster
Instructor

Heat shield eh? Hmmmmm, I saw a heat shield removed when i did the clutch. Put the clutch in it goes away pull clutch out and it rattles. Anyway, what does a rebuild usually cost. And does it really make the car factory fresh? Thanks again
Old 08-25-2002, 04:16 AM
FXMaster
Instructor

Sorry about all the questions Dee. yeah, I'm a detail loving a hole. I can't rest until it's exactly the way I want it. I've spent buku dollars on the interior and exterior and the drivetrain and suspension. All thats left now is to make the powerplant a world beater. I'm nuts.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:20 AM
Deepice
Pro

yup sounds like the heat shield.... a good rebuild will run about $3000 with goodies around $5000
Old 08-25-2002, 06:12 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got 173K on my 87S with 7% leakdown, no oil usage and it pulls like a striped *** ape as soon as it hits the p/band. I wouldn't even think of a rebuild this soon. Look for smaller problems first.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Do a compression and leakdown test. If all the clyinders come out close, you would be throwing your money away doing a rebuild (IMHO). Have you had your intake manifold of the freshen up everything under there?
Old 08-25-2002, 10:16 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then again, Fx - if the car is in Ct., and you want to be rid of it, look me up. I'll take care of it for you.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:58 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, FX, if any of this works, ya owe me half of the cost of an engine rebuild ...

A) What weight oil are you running? Heavier oils are sometimes ...uh, "calming" when it comes to noises. But don't overdo higher viscosity with wiinter coming on.

B) New injectors may be quieter than old, worn ones.

C) Did the quieter car that you're comparing yours to have the under-hood sound-absorbing pad, and does yours? It makes a considerable difference in volume & 'quality' of noise, even in the cockpit.

D) Consider Dynamat & undercoating.

E) Spend some time under the hood with a good light & a mechanic's stethescope looking for your noise sources; some may actually be external rattles from loose heat shields & the like. Belts can also be noisy; T&B belts when the tension is wrong or a roller is going bad, alt & PS belts when they get old or dirty. Spray just a little silicone lube on the accessory belts when the engine is idling, see if it changes any sounds.

There's no reason to rebuild a 108K engine unless there's something actually wrong with it, which is unlikely unless it's been under-maintained or seriously abused.

I'll second the idea that you need to get a compression & leak-down test and consider your hot oil pressure before spending $5-6K on an engine rebuild that you likely don't need. And you'd have to be really dam' lucky to get a rebuild that was as perfect & quiet as a new factory engine.

Of course, it's your money...
Jim, "MORE COFFEE!!!!"
Old 08-25-2002, 02:07 PM
FXMaster
Instructor

Thanks for all the imput guys. I think I'm just being over critical. The guy with the 91 did have the hood pad. Why didn't the 90's come with that. Instead I have a smaller pad that only covers some of the hood. Anyway, I sprayed some belt quiet on the belts and noticed much quieter. I did notice that my injectors do click quite loudly. I did not want to say my car runs like crap. On the contrary, it runs really good. I'm just a stickler for little noises and when I saw and heard a low milage car I was really listening to how quiet it was under his hood. I wonder why my injectors tick and his did not??? How would you know if your balance shaft needed to be aligned? I just had the balance shaft belt tightend over at Speedsport. Again, thanks to all the responders. This forum is invaluble.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

speedsport.. ah..

hey just come to the next autocross in september and you can compare your clicking with all of ours.. i bet youll be relieved then

Quick Reply: Found out what the noise was. Damn, coolant everywhere......What now???