Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benchtesting fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:00 PM
taget
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benchtesting fuel pump?

I have no fuel pressure ( and no fuel) in the fuel rail in my early 85 944. Tried to jump the fuel pump relay and all that did was blow the horn when I put the jumper on it ( please tell me thats normal and not some home wiring from the PO).

So I pulled the fuel pump. Lotsa brown crud in the pump itself ( the car has been sitting for 5 years) even tho there is new fuel in the tank.

When I attach 12v to the pump it jumps and hums but doesnt feel like its turning. When I look in either end nothing is moving.

When I stick the suction side in fuel -- nothing comes out the other end.

So the questions--

Does the pump have to be lower than the fuel to work?

What amps does the pump need to work properly?

What are the specs on the pump -- rate of flow/pressure etc.

Im tryin real hard not to shell out the chunk-o-change for a new one unless its bad.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bench tested mine out of the car running 12v to it and it worked fine, so I think you may have an issue with yours. Mine was pretty gunked up as well in the check valve which was 95% of the reason I changed it anyway...I figured if I had it out for the check valve, might as well replace it with a new one. My pump (it's stock and when I took it out my car had 82k on it) works perfectly - you'd just need the check valve. I also have a brand new bigger pump (it's the 928 pump) that I bought and ended up not using it. It fits the 951 perfectly - just has a slightly larger end for the hose that connects the pump to the fuel tank - other than that - it's the same, just flows a bit more fuel...

PM me if you need either of them...

Quick Reply: Benchtesting fuel pump?