Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys and Defroster wiring.....Any ideas here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 02:33 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Keys and Defroster wiring.....Any ideas here?

Hey guys,

Back on tweaking those little things with my fairly new (to me!) 951 and I've got a couple of more questions.

My heated mirrors have been working and I found the defroster fuse to be okay, when I started checking the wiring at the hatch, on the passenger side the entire piece with the contacts that goes from the wire to the defroster grid is separated. Does anyone have a good suggestion of a way to reattach this? Perhaps some kind of conductive epoxy or?

Also, I have recently gotten a new key from Porsche (very expensive....cripes!) as the current one I have seems to be quite worn and I didn't want to make my spares from a worn out key. The new one is much sharper along the corners and even has about 4 very small teeth between the bigger ones that my old key doesn't. I was told if it didn't work to lightly sand the edges and I have done that. It does work in the driver's door and the hatch, but not in the passenger door lock or in the ignition (kinda important that ). I just lubed the outside locks with some graphite a few days ago, perhaps more with graphite or try some in the ignition? How much should I have to work on this new key to get it to work? Other ideas????

Thanks a lot guys!!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:59 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Bump......come on guys and girls!! Any ideas???

Thanks.....
Old 02-27-2003, 07:54 PM
944Play
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is the stuff you want for the defroster contact:
<a href="http://www.permatex.com/products/prodidx.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=21351" target="_blank">http://www.permatex.com/products/prodidx.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=2 1351</a>
No experience here, YMMV!
Old 02-27-2003, 11:09 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Thanks John!

I was wondering what you might use...never thought they had something exactly for the task!! Working all day and then having another job at night takes up far too much of my time to just go looking to see what's out there

I'm enjoying the car though....lots of little things I'm having to tweak to make her perfect, gives me something to get me away from this computer once in a while!!!!

Now if I can only tweak this new and very expensive key and get it to work!

Cheers!
Old 02-27-2003, 11:16 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Clean off the key well, put it in the locks that don't work and and jiggle it back and forth. You should get little scratches showing where the tumblers are and allow you ti find where to sand it down if somethings got a high spot.

That's what the locksmith did for me when I bought a car at a police auction. He started with a blank and was done in 5 minutes. Might help a neophyte like yourself if you use something like nail polish so as to make a better withness mark.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:18 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Better yet even. Compare it with your old key. That should give you an even better idea.

Look particuarly for burrs and the like.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:14 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Cool....thanks for the idea! Nail polish huh...I think I can find some of that around here! LOL...the old key is just about totally worn out. The little tiny teeth on the new key are totally gone on the old. Almost thought they sent me the wrong key when I first compared them! I did manage to get the passenger side door going and the hatch and driver's side are working. I think part of it is that some of those tumblers haven't worked in years! Only important thing left is the ignition key. Will try out the nail polish on that idea on that to see if there are any areas in particular still catching/scratching on it.

Again, thanks for that idea....my brain is so fried from work that little simple things just suddenly become very complex....lol

Cheers!
Old 05-28-2003, 07:11 PM
ruffinit
1st Gear

Talking

Find a locksmith (dealer can) who can make you a new key from the key code from the tumbler.

To get your key code take one of your door handles apart, there is a key-code stamped on the tumbler body somewhere. I believe it is a 6-digit code.

This will get you a brand new key--not cheap though.

Verify that the key works, then have several copies made--cheap, and put the original in a drawer somewhere.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:51 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I find new keys alot of times do not work as well as the old ones; so I usually will have a sharp one made off the old key, and then deburr it on a wire wheel.

I'm going to the local locksmith, since they have the black round blanks for $4.50; Porsche wanted $11, but I need two, so there you go.

I could get a VW or Audi key made for cheap, but I want at least one that looks original, minus the crest.

- Julie
Old 05-28-2003, 09:11 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

iF YOU GOT A NEW KEY FROM PORSCHE AND PAID BIG PORSCHE MONEY FOR IT - IT SHOULD FIT WITHOUT TROUBLE.
TAKE IT BACK AND TELL THEM IT'S CRAP AND INSIST ON ONE THAT WORKS.

Quick Reply: Keys and Defroster wiring.....Any ideas here?