Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 collector car, or a antique?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 04:58 AM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hagerty considers my 1986 944 NA enough of a collector to qualify. I have agreed value and much lower rates. There are some requirements so make sure it's a good match for your scenario.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

State Farm insured my 86 NA as a classic. They would not insure my 87 Turbo as a classic. Their reason was that their policy had changed and for a car to insure as a classic it has to be worth more now than what it sold for new.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:58 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve
Hagerty considers my 1986 944 NA enough of a collector to qualify. I have agreed value and much lower rates. There are some requirements so make sure it's a good match for your scenario.
was just going to mention them...I think they are the guys who advertise in Panorama. Friend had his 944 S2 Cab insured with them...full coverage with agreed value was like under $1k per year....for the record, I am more than 2x that in NJ for just liability coverage.

Catch....has to be garaged....no more than around 2500 miles/year IIRC and no track time
Old 12-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

As mentioned "collector" license/registration differs state to state. As does insurance - each state has their own restrictions/requirements for insurance, so policy and coverage through the same ins. company can vary state to state.

e.g. in MN, I have two 944s registered as "collector" cars with plates - the only requirement is 20 yrs old. I also have state farm classic car insurance on one of them and also on a 964. Neither are worth more than when new, but the rates are set by an agreed value. I told them what I thought the car was worth, justified it with photos, mileage and PCA valuation documentation; underwriters reviewed and agreed to the value.

My usage is limited more by the collector plates, than the classic insurance - but I put very little mileage on any of the cars, and one of the collector registered 944s is a track only car, so its never on the street anyway - so it works well for me.

The track car is the tough one to insure. Even if you only want comprehensive coverage on it, in case of theft or garage fire, most insurance companies will not cover it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I got a call from my agent today, and they agreed to insure the car as a collector car. Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM
P. Ortiz
Advanced

I carry collector car insurance through Heacock, on my 1986 944 Turbo. It comes with a $13,500 agreed value (upped by them from the original $12,500) and allows 5,000 miles of use per year. Cost is in the $250.00 per year range. It comes with some restrictions: no driving to and from work and they frown upon errand-type use. Pleasure driving, shows, parades and going out for ice cream is fine. This is important because I was denied coverage on a pristine 19,000 original mile 1972 Buick Electra that I owned because when asked about the intended use, I told Haggerty Ins. that I might occasionally use it for shopping trips around town. I live in Florida, but when I lived in New York State, I had collector coverage on my 1978 Fiat 124 Spider. It was pretty much the same type of coverage. When you are interviewed, it helps if you can show that the car is garaged, and as mentioned above, keep the described usage as pleasure and hobby related as possible. Sometimes club membership helps too. If you plan on having the car as a daily driver, it might not be worth the restrictions though. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 104 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
There is no requirement that anyone "judge" whether a car is worthy; hell, there are people who collect old Nashes. There were millions of Model T's made, yet they are collectible.
You forgot that Henry melted as many Ts as he could when the A came out. Hello planned obsolesence.
Originally Posted by P. Ortiz
Pleasure driving, shows, parades and going out for ice cream is fine. This is important because I was denied coverage on a pristine 19,000 original mile 1972 Buick Electra that I owned because when asked about the intended use, I told Haggerty Ins. that I might occasionally use it for shopping trips around town.
Shopping trips is a no no as you found out.

When I pressed someone at JC Taylor some years ago what i learned is that the car is supposed to be in view at all times.

A drive in movie is OK, a movie in a theater is not.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

I think a lot of the car insurance policies have significant differences for each state based on laws and legal precedence. My conversation with Hagerty several months ago regarding shopping trips, errands and other miscellaneous activities was that such use was acceptable.

What was repeated to me no less than 3 times, however, was that I must always (no gaps) own and insure (with a "mainline carrier") another "daily driver" vehicle. The other thing they seemed keen on reminding me was no transporting passengers or goods for a fee and I must have a garage or enclosed storage facility.

I'm in CA. Maybe our state has laws you can't restrict coverage they way they do in other states. The impression I got from them was that they were far more adamant about making sure there was another vehicle that I considered my primary transportation than about specific uses.

Quick Reply: 944 collector car, or a antique?