Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wiper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003 | 01:25 AM
scjayhawk
Advanced

Question Rear wiper rebuild

A previous owner of my '87 951 removed the rear wiper and plugged up the hole with a black plug. It's apparrent that there used to be a rear wiper as there is still a switch on the dash.

Does anyone have any idea what parts are involved or what effort might be involved in restoring the rear wiper to original? I'm wondering what parts I will likely have to reinstall/replace and whether it's worth the time and expense to try. Also any information about where the parts are located in the car and ways to test them to make sure they work would be most helpful.

It would be nice to have the rear wiper working again, but I guess I'm really wondering if there is something so problematic about the design that it would cause an owner to elimiate it instead of fixing it. Are there common problems with the rear wiper that would cause someone to eliminate it?
Old 03-14-2003 | 03:40 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Not sure but I will buy that plug off yah! How much? If you wanna sell it.
Old 03-14-2003 | 03:43 AM
Nocturnal_Breed
Instructor

Hi,

I just took my rear wiper off my car. Its now only goona be out when its nice, but if i get caught in the rain no big deal. Anyways Mine is just lying around with no plans on ever reinstalling it so if you are interested I am willing to sell it.

Email me at Nocturnal_breed@yahoo.com if interested and we can work something out.
Old 03-14-2003 | 10:08 AM
scjayhawk
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Nocturnal_Breed:
<strong>I just took my rear wiper off my car. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I might be interested in buying those parts once I figured out what pieces-parts I need. What did you remove that you have lying around? Also, I'm curious - what led you, like my previous owner, to remove the rear wiper in the first place???
Old 03-14-2003 | 10:22 AM
Dave E
Pro

I have two complete wiper setups available for sale as well. I took mine out to save weight. I really only take the car out on nice days if I can help it, so I didn't see the need for the wiper.
Old 03-14-2003 | 01:00 PM
gleamingred944
Instructor

Mine has given problems about every 6 months. I've simply quit repairing it. The truth is, even in rain, you don't need it. The only time it would be nice is in freezing rain, but the truth is that I rely on the rear defrost now and it does almost as well as defrost plus wiper.
Old 03-14-2003 | 01:06 PM
sm
Drifting

gleaming,

what would go wrong with it and how did you repair it? mine has problems from time to time as well.
Old 03-14-2003 | 08:56 PM
scjayhawk
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Dave E:
<strong>I have two complete wiper setups available for sale.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">What do you mean when you say "two complete wiper setups"? I don't know what parts I may be missing as they were already removed when I bought the car. I assume there is some sort of motor/wiper assembly that attaches at the hole in the glass??? Can someone describe what parts are included in the assembly and also what common problems people have with the rear wiper assembly.
Old 03-15-2003 | 09:36 AM
gleamingred944
Instructor

1. The screw holding the blade to the motor shaft can come loose, then you turn the wiper on and since you then can't tell if it's on or off, you leave it on and the motor burns out.
2. there's a gear inside that breaks
3. I had a wire come loose
4. I had a wire fatigue-break

That's my 'been there done that' - any others? I've had as much trouble with that wiper as with all the rest of the car put together!
Old 03-15-2003 | 10:43 AM
'rik
Intermediate

it all comes in one piece,except for the wiper blade.
all you have to do is screw it on,and plug in the wires.
the design changed at one point,make sure you get the right one.
Old 03-16-2003 | 01:13 AM
scjayhawk
Advanced

Question

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 'rik:
<strong>the design changed at one point,make sure you get the right one.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Does anybody know what the design change was and on what model year it took place? I've heard it might be the size of the hole/shaft...
Old 03-16-2003 | 07:05 PM
'88-924S
Racer

i've gone through two internal gears, they suck!! IMHO it's not worth it, lots of rainx and less weight.
Old 03-16-2003 | 11:28 PM
scjayhawk
Advanced

Maybe it's not worth the trouble to replace the rear wiper, but it really bugs me for it not to work. I guess I'm being ****, but if the switch exists on the dash, then I want it to turn something on that actually functions. I guess that's part of the fun of the 944 is the constant fight to keep everything working (plus the fact that it drives really really nice).

Quick Reply: Rear wiper rebuild