Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novice question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 12:29 AM
Ben Plaisted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Novice question

Ok I can turn a wrench and I'm not afraid to get dirty, I like to tinker but the most I've ever done is change a starter on my old pontiac. How hard is it to check the timing belt to see if it is warn down or loose or whatever. If its not too hard I might even think about doing a timing belt change myself. My car has records up to 2k miles ago but Oil change is the only thing checked off in the owners manual from about 20k ago. So I figured before I take it out this spring I should get the belts done. Any replys will be greatly appreciated
Old 03-14-2003, 12:59 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

its not too tough to check, theres ~10 bolts that hold the top outside belt cover off. take them off and the cover should come out relatively easily. from there you can see about half of the rollers and both belts. you can twist them to check tension (about 90 degrees in the longest area between cogs) and check the condition of the rubber. i wouldnt imagine they'd wear much, just get old and brittle. so as long as they dont whine (too tight) or flop and hit the belt cover (too loose) and they arent all dry and old and brittle, then you should be good. most people here do em around 30,000 miles or 3 years whatevers first. not too tough to handle yourself, just check the archives and make sure you do it right!

good luck
- Michael
Old 03-14-2003, 12:59 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have seen a few great writeups on changing the timeing belts I just cant remember where...

As far as seeing the wear... I think its an all or nothing thing. Good one day, break the next. They should be changed by mileage and never trusted by sight. I know if it does break your pretty much screwed so for the little bit it costs to replace its a good piece of mind.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:07 AM
Ben Plaisted
Racer

Thanks for the advice, from what you (ERAU944) said it doesnt seem that hard. I think I'll try it tommorow. Do you happen to know what size bolts they are?

Quick Reply: Novice question