Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another no start

the car has been running fine. tonight i go to start it for the first time today and it fires for about a second and then it died.
now its trying to crank, but no go.
doubtful, but could the cold have anything to do with this?

the battery is no more than a few years old.
brand new coil, distributor cap, rotor, and wires.
starter also not that old

its way to dark and cold to do anything about it tonight. but give me suggestions and ill check in the morning.

Last edited by jtsporsche; 11-27-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:55 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So the car cranks now or not?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:59 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

im not sure if theres something wrong with my terminology, but no, it doesnt crank (fire or start up)
Old 11-27-2009, 09:06 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Ok I mean't turn over instead of crank. When you turn the key does the car make noise?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

yes
Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Ok in that case I would check for spark first, and fuel second.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:16 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

even with everything being rather new? i forgot to mention that the plugs are also not that old and all the wires are on tight.

what would cause me to just lose spark after it starts?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

I'm not exactly sure. If it were me though I would just check everything anyway to make sure.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:37 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

ok i have spark, no fuel. tomorrow im gonna take the pump off and test it, replace if no good.
what are the odds it could be the fuel pump relay?

and on a side note, my owners manual doesnt list a dme relay (1987 924S) do the later style cars have a fuel pump relay or is it controlled through the dme relay?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:19 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

u may also wanna check your fuel pump fuse there is one there...i learned the hard way
Old 11-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

I'm not that familiar with the fuse panel lay out on a 924 or its location. If it is like an early 944 you have a fuel pump relay and a fuse. Both have to be good to get fuel. A fuse can look good and still be bad, replace it with another one. I would do the easy stuff before removing the fuel pump.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 11-29-2009, 12:10 PM
thekidd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DME relay and fuel pump relay are the same thing (I think space #5 on the later models relay board). You checked for spark and are getting spark still, correct? Does you're tach. bounces when you try and first start the car? Should bounce very slightly before engine cranks/turns. Take the plastic cover off of the fuel rail and loosen the 3/4''? nut at the end of the rail. If a little fuel leaks out good (do it when the engine is rather cold, dont want gas all over ahot engine and Distributor cap, and have some rags and a cup to soak up the fuel). If there is no fuel at the rail, try jumpering the DME relay as says http://www.clarks-garage.com/ then go to Garage shop manuel and look for DME testing- common for these to go after 26-21 years after there made. Another thing, when you try and start your car, do you hear humming from the rear of the car (fuel pump working?) have someone try and start the car while you kneel near the passenger side rear of the car, you should be able to hear it hummimg.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:50 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

ok update... i found that yes there is also a fuel pump fuse, but AFTER i replaced the pump (turns out the old one wasnt even bad). the fuse crumbled when i touched it and it has signs of being burned, so i did replace it.

now, with new fuse and pump in place, the car will start for a second and then die, every single time. like it cant maintain fuel pressure, going to check the fuel filter and possibly replace since im told they're cheap.

and again, spark was tested for and confirmed to be there
Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thekidd
The DME relay and fuel pump relay are the same thing (I think space #5 on the later models relay board). You checked for spark and are getting spark still, correct? Does you're tach. bounces when you try and first start the car? Should bounce very slightly before engine cranks/turns. Take the plastic cover off of the fuel rail and loosen the 3/4''? nut at the end of the rail. If a little fuel leaks out good (do it when the engine is rather cold, dont want gas all over ahot engine and Distributor cap, and have some rags and a cup to soak up the fuel). If there is no fuel at the rail, try jumpering the DME relay as says http://www.clarks-garage.com/ then go to Garage shop manuel and look for DME testing- common for these to go after 26-21 years after there made. Another thing, when you try and start your car, do you hear humming from the rear of the car (fuel pump working?) have someone try and start the car while you kneel near the passenger side rear of the car, you should be able to hear it hummimg.
yes the tach bounces

getting spark

first thing i did was take the nut off the rail, there was a tad bit of fuel, tried to start the car with a cup under the rail and nothing came out, this is how i discovered i was getting no fuel

are you sure "fuel pump relay" and dme relay are the same? i have a spare dme relay (brand new i think) but i dont know what car its for, are they all the same?

Quick Reply: another no start