Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:31 PM
crazandy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ????

I had my clutch replaced in oct-01 and its still under waranty. But my question/problem is this: When I start off in first it shutters a lot and vibrates like crazy, it also does this in reverse, when it does this it makes a chirping noise, sort of like doves flying out of the way of a car or running from people. This wasn't a problem last fall when I was using it as my DD, but I only drove it aobut 100 miles in a 5 month period after it failed inspections, so I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it. If I can't find out what it is, I'll just ask the dealer if they can look at it while they do my alignment next week.

TIA
Old 03-27-2003, 07:36 PM
crazandy
Racer

btt
Old 03-28-2003, 08:02 AM
crazandy
Racer

one last try.

btt
Old 03-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I think you'll get more hits if you edit your subject line. Lots of people don't read every message, but pick out topics that look interesting. Does it shake if you roll very slowly with the clutch all the way out and then accelerate?

-Joel
Old 03-28-2003, 12:39 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know for sure if this might be what it is, but I've heard it's worse at very low engine speeds if I remember right...have you checked the motor mounts?

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:02 PM
crazandy
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Jfrahm:
<strong>I think you'll get more hits if you edit your subject line. Lots of people don't read every message, but pick out topics that look interesting. Does it shake if you roll very slowly with the clutch all the way out and then accelerate?

-Joel</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Well, no one was reading it when the subject was "Is it my clutch?" so I changed it to "????" and hoped that someone would respond and it worked, it got 2 people to respond.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:04 PM
crazandy
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by turbo944:
<strong>Don't know for sure if this might be what it is, but I've heard it's worse at very low engine speeds if I remember right...have you checked the motor mounts?

Cheers!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yes, the motor mounts are shot, they've been shot since I got the car. But the car never vibrated going into first or reverse like it does now. It drove fine for a year and a half with dead motor mounts, but all of a sudden its vibrating like crazy. I'll probably just end up letting the dealer that replaced the clutch look at it, since it is under warranty.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe the motor mounts are now Very Dead. Otherwise it could be clutch chatter. Did you replace just the clutch or the clutch and pressure plate?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:52 PM
crazandy
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Tom:
<strong>Maybe the motor mounts are now Very Dead. Otherwise it could be clutch chatter. Did you replace just the clutch or the clutch and pressure plate?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'm not sure, the receipt just says:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Description:
Transmission won't downshift after accelerating to 3000 plus
and clunking or jerking felt in shifter
replace clutch including pilot bearing and fork bearings.

Parts:
1 944-116-911-00 Clutch Repair Kit 830.98
1 931-102-111-00 Ball Bearing 35M 20.73
2 999-201-213-00 Needle Bearing 10.85
1 016-141-181 Clutch Guide Sle 18.27</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Further down on the receipt

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Description:
Vibration in whole car at idle - check engine mounts?
advise to replace engine mounts. no work performed at this time.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">What do you think?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Transmission won't downshift after accelerating to 3000 plus"

That could be part of the problem. Motor mounts could be it as well, but why immediately after getting the clutch replaced? They don't die that quickly... unless they were damaged somehow...

Could also be there was grime and stuff inside bellhousing and it wasn't cleaned off. Found its way onto the flywheel perhaps? Or a spot of grease from the shift-fork needle bearings?

Tom Pultz was fighting a vibration problem after replacing his clutch for months! Do a search for his posts and see what was finally found as the problem...
Old 03-28-2003, 10:21 PM
athens944
Pro

I would definitely check the motor mounts. I know they are very near the exhaust headers, which in turn causes them to wear out due to constant high temp exposure.

Another vibration issue occurs because of the balance shaft belt not being replaced properly.

Finally, check the crossmember bolts (4). Make sure they are all there and properly torqued.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:22 PM
crazandy
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Danno:
<strong>"Transmission won't downshift after accelerating to 3000 plus"

That could be part of the problem. Motor mounts could be it as well, but why immediately after getting the clutch replaced? They don't die that quickly... unless they were damaged somehow...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'm not sure what you meant, but here goes.

The motor mounts have been dead since I got the car. The part about it not downshifting was when the clutch went a year ago and I was explaing the problem to the people at the dealer, and they wrote it down so the mechanics could check it out.

I'll see if I can pull up the threads about Tom Pultz.

Looks like I may have to break down and do the motor mounts next weekend. Anybody up for a motor mount replacement tech day? Cause I know the dealer will charge me an arm and a leg plus some to replace them. I think they quoted me at 600 when I had the clutch replaced last year.

The car only has 7k on the new clutch. And I don't drive it hard often.

Quick Reply: ????