Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another newbie, and Dayton OH info

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 12:46 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Yet another newbie, and Dayton OH info

Hello gang! I'm quite new and just thought I'd say Hello to everybody (seems to be the trend). I've been searching the archives for over 8 mos now (bought the 944 in December), but never really read the "current" posts until recently - hence my signing up! There is such a wealth of info on this board, I hope it never stops growing.

On a different note, who's got advice on the Dayton area Porsche scene? Parts prices, repair quality, etc. I've had pleasant experiences w/ Stuttgart in Centerville. I've also bought alot of misc parts from IAP (though he seems a little high in $$$). My car gets me to work and back daily, but it still needs alot of work! Any thoughts on quality/economical parts/labor is appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Old 08-24-2002, 12:51 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts
If you want to travel a little south to the Monroe area you can vist Farler Performance. Ken Farler, owner, does exceptional work. He was a Master Tech with Northland P/A in Cincy.

513-779-6515

Alan
Old 08-24-2002, 12:56 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Alan, thanks! I'm aware of Farler. My dad is HUGE into the 911 scene. He has Farler do all his work. Switched his 3.2 to a 3.4, plus a bunch of other mods. I'd go to Farler for anything major, but my car is a Daily Driver, and Farler tends to keep them a-while. Maybe soon I'll be able to afford a "spare" car, but for now I need "instant repairs."

Again, I really appreciate the input!
Old 08-24-2002, 01:15 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Dales944. Welcome to the board. Whatever questions you have, somebody here has the answers. There isn't a better board on the net.(Shameless groveling for John D.) I'm in Beavercreek but I haven't used any local mechanics. I do my own wrenching due to a large mortgage payment, a two year old, a wife, and a small Porsche budget. There are a lot of Porsche owners in the area and hopefully we can do a meet & greet or a cruise before the cold stuff gets here. Post a pic of your car so we can see it. I've probably seen you around. If you have a manual sunroof let me know. I'd like to take an up close look at one, I'm wanting to convert my non working POS electric one.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:21 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Dales944 I just checked out your P-Car online page. Great looking car, it looks like mine!
Old 08-24-2002, 01:24 AM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

944Pete - Thanks! I do have a manual S/R. I'm minutes away from Beavercreek, so I'd love to drop by and let you see my S/R. I have just joined "P-CarOnline" so please look at my car via the link on my signature. The first pic is the one I copied from AutoTrader.com before I purchased the car. The other four are how it looks now. I would LOVE to do my own wrenching (as I struggle to do so)... I, too, have a mortgage, an "almost" three-year-old, and an "almost" one-year-old. Cash is "of the essence" around mi casa, and the wife doesn't enjoy allotting much toward the Porsche.

Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2002, 02:55 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Greetings Dales from the Dayton area. Wheres Stuttgart? I live in Centerville but dont know where it is. I only drive mine ~1000 miles a year or so so I dont have it in the shop often. The word seems to be to take it to Ken Farler though. I wonder if he could do a serious lighting up grade for me and get my A/C working again.

Also, anyone know who can do a nice repaint in Dayton area? Im still prob. a year away but after 16years, its time for my baby to have a fresh coat of the purrty stuff.

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2002, 07:30 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation

Allright, we really need to get together. There are enough of us around here to have our own representation in Congress. Next weekend is a long weekend. Anyone game?

Email me. jeremym@airborne.net

Tifo

Oh, and welcom!
Old 08-24-2002, 11:27 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm going to Florida next week, leaving Friday. After that, anytime is good for me.
We really should wait for Perry to finish the resurrection of the 951. I think it's going to be incredible. God knows he deserves it.
UDPride, Stuttgart Automotive is near the intersection of Bigger and Clyo. I haven't used them but I've gotten some labor quotes and they don't seem out of line.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:48 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Dales944,

Take the drive to Farlers. He's the only one I trust in the Dayton area to do work. Sometimes he is a bit backed up, but most of the time he is right on target for day/time the repair will be finished. And he is honest.

Note: I am not affiliated with Farler Performance in any way. Blah blah blah disclaimer stuff. He does have a lot of my money, though .

Tifo
Old 08-24-2002, 06:31 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
Im always game to go driving on the weekends. Just need to work it around Notre Dame football and Univ. Dayton soccer games on Sunday at 1pm.

Anyone know how much a quality repaint would cost. I think I hit Centerville Body Shop once and some guy was getting his vintage Mustang repainted competition orange. I got so many dings Im tired of looking at them.

Im wondering if a really dark purple (indigo?)would look good with the burgundy interior.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:46 PM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

OK - I get it - Farler's the guy. Thanks for the input everyone.

Tifosiman, I'm definitely game for a GTG (before winter sets in for sure). I'm glad to see there are so many "enthusiasts" around here!

UDPride - I've never had any paint work done, sorry I can't help. Good luck, and, if/when you get it done - PLEASE share your experience! I've got so many rock-dings my "nose" looks like that of a 16-year-old fast-food worker.

Thanks again guys.

Dale.

Quick Reply: Yet another newbie, and Dayton OH info