Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Becker stereo in a 944?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 04:09 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post OEM Becker stereo in a 944?

Has anyone installed a modern 986/996 Becker stereo in their 944?

While the old Blaupunkt cassette deck is cool for nostalgic purposes, the lack of a CD player and horrible AM reception may demand an upgrade. I like the way the OEM Becker stereos are branded "Porsche," including the LCD display. I assume that the new unit would plug right in place of the old, but have not seen anyone who has actually done this. Anyone?
Old 01-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this in my 928 actually. I found a Porsche CDR-210 (Becker Grand Prix) on Ebay. It was new and came with a wiring harness so installing it was easy. It's not plug and play though. The stereo harness changed substantially from the old Blau's to the newer Beckers. The Becker has 40w/channel output so you don't need to run external amps if you don't want to (I don't). The older Porsche factory CD player (CD-2) does require an amp.

Since your car has a fader control on the console, and the Becker has its fader internally, you will probably want to take your factory fader out.

Any good car stereo shop can figure out the wiring and install a CDR-210 with no trouble. Physically, the unit fits perfectly, the antenna connector is the same, and it really looks nice in the 928 interior. The illumination is the same color, and it's the right "style" of unit.

Bryan
Old 04-02-2002, 12:20 PM
Sean
Drifting

Thanks Bryan...

Has anyone else made the change to an OEM Becker from the old Blaupunkt?

My instinct is that it will work... The dimensions appear to be the same. However, the Porsche parts department recently advised me that the Becker CDR-220 would not fit into a 944.

Maybe they are just talking about the amp and fader issues. But I thought it would be worthwhile to ask again. Has anyone put a CDR-220 into their 944?

Anyone? ... Anyone?
Old 04-03-2002, 12:29 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
You might try checking out Crutchfield. They may have the maximum allowable head unit depth in their database...

Just remember not to cut the factory wiring. Get a harness-harness adapter, or fashion one somehow.

You also might want to check out McIntosh's web site if you're looking for a modern head unit that isn't incredibly tacky.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:40 AM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Talking

I have a factory becker CDR-210 in my 87 951.
If you buy it used, make sure you get the code,
there is also a retaining sleeve. Call SWR Stereo
Specialties 1800-270-BEST, or <a href="http://www.swstereo.com," target="_blank">www.swstereo.com,</a>
If you get used unit, as I did, they will make up wiring harness for you so its plug and play, and they also have tool to remove old unit, and tool to remove Becker unit if you need. If you don't have a used one, they will sell you a new unit at best price. CDR 210 is out of 98 Boxter/996 I believe, latest model is CDR 220. Main difference is 220 goes retro with ***** to control tuning and volume. CDR 210 uses up and down buttons.
Display is LCD adjustable contrast, looks nice in day, and goes amber/orange to match instuments at night, will control CD changer, and has pre-outs.
It looks OEM, with Porsche written on top, but best of all I got it used for 200.00 a few years back. Oh, almost forgot its a removable face plate if that floats your boat.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Sean
Drifting

Okay, I got a CDR-220 today and will be doing the installation later this week.

I called SWR Stereo and spoke with a man named Stefan, who by the way was incredibly helpful. He is sending me the wiring hardness & tools to remove the old Blaupunkt.

Stefan pointed out that due to the change in viewing angle, the amber display of the CDR-220 will probably not work in the 944! Fortunately, it is possible to swap the display plates with a black/grey display that is similar to those used in Mercedes. (However, they cost $150.)

More info on the installation later this week. Thanks to all who replied...
Old 04-09-2002, 10:19 PM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

You will get outstanding service from Stephan,
that is who I also dealt with. Let me know how the display works out. My CDR 210 has no problems with the contrast in amber ( the contrast is adjustable) I don't know if the 220 has this feature. With the tool they send you, the radio comes out in a snap. The wiring harness has plugs on both ends as well, no soldering like some harnesses! What speakers are you going with? Are you using the built in amp, or going with an external amp?
Old 04-10-2002, 11:36 AM
Sean
Drifting

With regard to the amber display, I told Stefan that I would first try the CDR-220 amber and see if it will work well enough to be functional. I am not sure if the contrast can be adjusted (my Boxster S has a CDR-220, so I will experiment with that). It would be nice to have the amber display, for it will match the other instruments. Stay tuned on this front.

With regard to speakers and amp, I am open to suggestions. For now I will be using the internal amp, but may look at upgrading down the road.

Also, one of my 4x6 front speakers is emitting a sound that resembles a flatulent moose. Any recommendations for a good replacement (that looks OEM)? Thanks....

Quick Reply: OEM Becker stereo in a 944?