Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with identity of clanging sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002 | 05:04 PM
TomH
Pro

Timmer, it's one of two things, your flex disc, as others have pointed out, or possible the welds on your muffler mounts have broken. That ribbed section is the catalytic converter. And I recently experienced some resonating, that was solved when they replaced my cat and fixed the broken mounts. Also, your cat will make those kind of noises if it is disentegrating, and there are pieces rattling around inside the cat.

Personally, it sounds like your cat and/or exhaust to me (not your flex disc), but if it is your flex disc, it ain't gonna be cheap. I have an automatic not too far from you. The part is just shy of $600 on the web, but a mechanic did mine and charged me $1000 for the parts. He had already removed my transaxle and torque tube to replace the rear oil seal, and that was another $1000.

And, no, you don't want to drive the car if it is the flex disc. The exhaust mounts on the other hand can be ignored if you don't mind the sound, but I wuld get them fixed before they lead to more serious problems like a broken bolts at the exhaust manifold.

How many miles do you have on the car? Flex discs should last 100K miles or more.
Old 08-23-2002 | 11:23 PM
the timmer
Advanced

My car is just shy of 44K miles on it. I got
the car back in February when it was at 38K from AIC who got it from some old couple from Tom's River, NJ who's old lady drove it from day one. Less than 3K per year, on average, was put on the car when it was with that couple but in about 6 months of ownership, I've put on 6K.

What should I do tomorrow (Saturday) when I revisit my car? I have a couple of ramps that I can raise the front of the car and a flashlight and no knowledge of what is under my car, except for now knowing what the catalytic converter is and the oil box. Please advise? Hell, maybe you can come out here for the cost of a lunch and check it out with me.

-timmer
Old 08-24-2002 | 11:59 AM
the timmer
Advanced

I'm going to get under the car today and report back as to what I see. With only 44K on the car, it SHOULDN'T be the flex disc, but I am prepared if it is.

-timmer

Quick Reply: help with identity of clanging sound