Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt / Crank sprocket removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 01:07 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
Post Timing belt / Crank sprocket removal?

Hi All,
I seem to remember reading on Rennlist that on later 944's you don't have to remove the crank pullies, sprockets, etc. to change the timing belt, but I don't recall for sure. Is this true?
I have 1989 and 1990 S2's.

The procedure writeups all say that on non power steering cars you can change the belts without pulling the crank, but with power steering you do. I suppose that the old power steering pully was too large to permit removal of the lower guard? It looks rather larger than mine. I have my lower guard off and I don't see any obvious reason why I couln't thread the timing belt in there around the PS, AC and balance shaft sprockets. I understand that if you are replacing the waterpump and / or resealing the front of the engine the back half of the belt cover needs to come off, and that would require removal of all those bits.

I understand the reasoning behind replacing the waterpump, rollers, seals, etc. and I may end up doing all that in a few months but right now I just want a fresh timing belt on the car.

Thanks,
-Joel.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:38 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My timing / balance shaft belts came off fine without removing the crank pulley or sprockets. I have now removed the pulleys, etc ... but that is only because I am doing the water pump and seals. You should have no trouble installing the new belt with the pulley and sprockets in place. Best of luck to you.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don is right. You could remove and install t-belt without removing the crank pulley. While installing be careful not to damage the belt - don't bend too much or avoid twisting it.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:47 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2's are a little different. I believe that the belt is wider. When I did mine, I could not get the belt off with out removing the crank pulley.

HTH,
Old 08-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yes, on the S2 you have to pull at least the PS and AC /Alt pullies. It appears to be possible to install the belt with the other sprockets on. I was able to install the belt I was sold (which seems to be too short and is probably not be the right part) but I was able to get it around the timing belt sprocket with the pullies off. I'll try again when the shop supplies the correct belt.

Does anyone know the correct length for a 16v timing belt? I believe the S/S2/968 belts are the same.

-Joel

Quick Reply: Timing belt / Crank sprocket removal?