Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to open up dme or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 10:54 PM
94415atocrosswanabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to open up dme or not

Im trying to persue my cars hot start problem and Im starting at the dme, turns out it was just laying loose behind the footpanel. But what can i do with the dme, should i open it and look for corrosion etc. If so how does it open up.
allong with all the wires coming from the dme the are two wires connetcted to a plug that isnt plugged into anything, what is this for, should it be plugged in?
Also after driving around a little bit the little black alarm box was hot, but nothing surrounding it or touching it was hot.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:05 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have hot start problems i would not start from DME.More likely you have these typical 944 problems like fuel pressure regulator.I used to have '87 na in which i had same kind of problem.When engine was cold it started just fine.If i tried to start hot engine it was just impossible.When i let the engine cool down it started normally.I took some time to figure out that FPR has busted.
What worries me in your case is this DME which is not "bolt on" to that black metal panel where it should be.If i can remember correctly there should not be any extra wires hanging around DME connector.Disconnect your battery and unplug DME connector.Inside of connector beside every pin you can find numbers.These numbers indicate into which purpose that specific pin is for.Check out from which pin these "extra" wires come from.When you know numbers we can help you more.
Before you bolt DME back to it's place check out if its has been opened.You can see that easily, because there will be marks on those tabs which hold DME box halfs together.It might be possible that previous owener has changed chips or there has been bad solderings which has been tried to repaired.

Olli
'88 951
Old 08-09-2002, 11:50 AM
94415atocrosswanabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, i want to look into the fpr but in need to get a fuel pressure guage.

Quick Reply: to open up dme or not