Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15mm offset, remove stock front spacer on turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 12:46 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 15mm offset, remove stock front spacer on turbo?

My front wheels are 15mm offset, and are really close to the the edge of the fender. (see picture 3 in my profile) They look really really great, filling out the fender perfectly, except that the car is a little high in front. I want to put in the 250# welt springs I have, but I'm afraid that lowering the car the 1" or so will cause problems with rubbing. The '86 turbo has a small stock spacer in front, (as far as I can see it's stock) Is it possible to remove the spacer? Would I have problems with rubbbing on the inside? I believe the wheels are 8.5 or 9" wide. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2003, 01:11 PM
icat
Race Car

It's not a spacer. Although it does look like one. If your suspension is stock, then you're likely looking at the hub. I made the same mistake when I first looked at mine.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:38 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

icat: it is stock, I just though maybe it was removable somehow. I guess the best thing to do would be to try to see what kind of clearance and keep it the way it is. I'm not opposed to rolling the fenders as needed, I'm just afraid it will be completely too tight.

Does anyone know if the overall suspension travel is limited by the stiffer springs? I guess hitting the bump rubber will be the highest the wheel would travel no matter what kind of springs were in there.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Joe,
Your car doesn't look any different than my turbo did when I first mounted my Fikses. You have to remember that as the front suspension compresses, the wheel doesn't move straight up and down. The wheel moves on an arc. I thought for sure my tires would rub, but didn't unless I made an extreme maneuver

Another thing. Your car looks like it has almost "0" camber in the front. If you run -1.0 or -1.5 like I am, the top edge will be well clear of the fender lip, even before the wheel moves in an arc.

This my theory anyway
Old 03-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, just run a little more neg. camber on the allignment. You'll like it!
Old 03-25-2003, 03:13 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Mike: I thought about that too. There is a little evidence of rubbing on one of the tires, so I was just worried there would be more. I need to get it aligned and check the camber, for sure, even a degree, or 1.5 would help a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Quick Reply: 15mm offset, remove stock front spacer on turbo?