Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm going off for no aparent reason...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003 | 04:37 AM
rihaa
Racer

Post Alarm going off for no aparent reason...HELP!

It is something that has been happening occasionally. My alarm will just go off for no reason, even if I am parked at the back of the parking lot with nobody around at all. The other thing is that the alarm will not stop after the 1 minute or whatever that it is supposed to.

Is there any way to check an error code or something that will tell me what it was that tripped the alarm? Is there something that is just worn out and needs replaced? Any other electrical issues to check that may be related to the door locks?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. This is something I really don't like to happen when I am at my friends houses and stuff late at night as it pisses off the neighbors and often times I can't hear it at all from where I am at in the houses.
Old 03-25-2003 | 12:38 PM
daytrader968
Intermediate

I'm not sure if the S2 has the same type of alarm as the 968, but in my case, the light switch for the glove box wasn't securely switching off. It would randomly turn itself on even with the glove box door closed. Since this switch is tied into the alarm system to protect the glove box contents, the alarm would go off for what seemed like no reason. A slight adjustment in the glove box door latch to pull it closed tighter took care of it. Just an idea.
Old 03-25-2003 | 04:23 PM
rihaa
Racer

Thanks for the idea, I will look into it. Keep them coming.

I know that the alarm is only supposed to trip if certain of the contacts is tripped, I am not sure if the glove box is one of them, but I do know that the radio has got one, so maybe that is a trip sensor for it.
Old 03-25-2003 | 04:57 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

When my alarm got wet not sure from washing it or rain, it seem to have some issues. Hope this helps. Keep in mind this was a diff alarm but the same symptoms. I believe the battery being low can effect the alarm? Anyone want to elaborate on this one?
Old 03-25-2003 | 05:25 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

perhaps the door open sensors are failing and the alarm thinks someone is trying to open the door.
Old 03-25-2003 | 06:09 PM
rihaa
Racer

I guess my biggest question is how might I go about diagnosing the problem? I think it occurs more often when the air is damp, and I'm not sure if the moisture is triggering something or if there is a bad connection somewhere in the electrical.

Anyone know what diagnostics, if any, are available on the alarm to figure out what is tripping it?

Quick Reply: Alarm going off for no aparent reason...HELP!