Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing belt 1.2 teeth move

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003 | 11:50 AM
Gerd
Instructor

Post timing belt 1.2 teeth move

First off I would like to thank Carl Flecther and everyone on Rennlist for their help.

When tensioning the timing belt several posts stated to turn the camshaft back 1.5 teeth. What is the purpose of this and what does this accomplish?

I have set the tension with the Kricket tool and seem to come out with the right numbers. But I order the Porsche tension tool from the Tool Club and going to check it again. I am afraid to start the car.

Thanks again for all you help.

Gerd
Old 03-24-2003 | 12:03 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Gerd:
<strong>First off I would like to thank Carl Flecther and everyone on Rennlist for their help.

When tensioning the timing belt several posts stated to turn the camshaft back 1.5 teeth. What is the purpose of this and what does this accomplish?

I have set the tension with the Kricket tool and seem to come out with the right numbers. But I order the Porsche tension tool from the Tool Club and going to check it again. I am afraid to start the car.

Thanks again for all you help.

Gerd</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yeah, I've heard this as well...but don't know the theory behind it...but would just do it "because". Would be nice to know why though...
Old 03-24-2003 | 01:38 PM
art
Pro

It is to make sure that the slack is out of the belt and you are tensioning on a properly set up system. If you set the tension between the two cogs and have lots of slack on the opposite side you will lose the tension value. I assume that 1.5 teeth is less critical than just making sure there is some effort made to take out backlash in the system.

Art

Quick Reply: timing belt 1.2 teeth move