Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Won't Start - Electrical Experts, Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 05:31 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 Won't Start - Electrical Experts, Please

Early this past summer, I did a bunch of interior work on my '86 951. I had the dash out for refinishing, removed the non-functioning aftermarket alarm the PO installed, new steering wheel, etc. I got everything back together in early June, I drove the car a few times, I was happy.

Then, I drove to a friend's house one evening with no issues, got in the car to go home a few hours later, and nothing. No lights on the dash, no engine turning over, nothing. It was like someone removed the battery. The only sign of life was a clicking noise coming from under the dash after I'd tried turning the key a few times.

I did a lot of traveling/moving over the summer, so I stashed the car in a friend's carport until I picked it up recently. Now I'm trying to solve this problem. It's possible that I screwed up some wiring when I removed the alarm, but all I did was desolder the alarm wires and then wrap everything back up. Maybe a wire rubbed on something and then shorted? I'm trying to avoid taking the dash apart again, but if I have to, where should I start looking?

I also gave the ignition relays and DME relays a visual inspection. When I removed the DME relay, it sounded like the guts were rattling around in the case; is that normal?

I'm just really confused as to why the car would run fine for a few days and then all of sudden go completely dead. Anyone been in this situation before? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the car have a factory alarm? The alarm module (under the DME computer in passenger footwell) can make that clicking sound and can cause a no-start condition. If it's there, bypass it (Clark's Garage has the steps) or replace it with a known good module of the same part number.

I had issues with the alarm module in my '89 S2 that manifested them in a similar way. Car ran great, then the alarm randomly started going off while the car was on (at the smog test place, even).
Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

Darren,

Thanks for that tip. It does have a factory alarm, so I'll try the bypass procedure tonight.

Anyone else have ideas? Is it normal to hear something moving around in the DME relay when I shake it?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the DME is supposed to sound like a set of maracas. Do you have a spare DME relay (I think quite a few folks here keep a spare in the glovebox!)?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

I do keep meaning to pick up a spare. I suppose now's as good a time as any.

Quick Reply: 951 Won't Start - Electrical Experts, Please