Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:44 AM
kirkhampf
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler thermostat

can I just remove the oil cooler thermostat and provide full flow to oil cooler. I live in a tropical climate and have trouble keeping oil viscocity up running oil cooled turbo and tracking. oil starts at 5 bar on track but after a few hard laps the viscocity drops to 4 then 3. after cool down pressure is back to 5. I have changed the oil cooler to a front mounted mazda rx7 cooler.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've experimented a little with this on a track car and we eventually put the thermostat back. Someone explained to me once that as the oil warms up and circulates in the engine, it will not be "tempted" to take the route of the oil cooler unless it is forced to do so. It seems that the cooler oil will act as a wall. So by removing the t-stat we saw the same temperatures and at times even increased temperatures.

If you could force the oil to always go through the oil cooler than it might be ok, but if there is an alternate path, it won't work in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sysgen
We've experimented a little with this on a track car and we eventually put the thermostat back. Someone explained to me once that as the oil warms up and circulates in the engine, it will not be "tempted" to take the route of the oil cooler unless it is forced to do so. It seems that the cooler oil will act as a wall. So by removing the t-stat we saw the same temperatures and at times even increased temperatures.

If you could force the oil to always go through the oil cooler than it might be ok, but if there is an alternate path, it won't work in my opinion.
Oil filter adapter will force all the oil running through the filter through a secondary cooler... run it through a second stock style cooler, or a KISS cooler... or any old cooler you have sitting around as long as the passages are large enough to not restrict the flow...
Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
kirkhampf
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys; I'm going to try toset the oil thermostat on open only; looks like fully open only moves the thermostat 1.5cm at 200 F. Im going to take the pin out and just use a spacer. any one have diagrams?

Quick Reply: oil cooler thermostat