Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be An Ebay Sniper...Win Every Auction!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 10:26 AM
my944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Be An Ebay Sniper...Win Every Auction!

I have read from many of you where you have lost an Ebay auction because of a last minute bid beating you. I have also heard quite a few of you staying glued to your computers to get a last second bid in. Take a look at this service...

<a href="http://www.esnipe.com/about.asp" target="_blank">E-snipe</a>

I have used it many times and IT IS GREAT! You can set it to bid for you, with a maximum bid, within a FEW SECONDS of the auction close! No more staying up late to catch the end of an auction or getting beat by last minute bidders. Now you can be a last SECOND bidder, literally!

I am in no way affiliated with E-snipe-I'm just an extremely happy member!
Old 07-23-2002, 12:23 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

so you tell this thing what the absolute most your willing to spend is, and then if at the last second someone outbids you it will raise your bid upto that maximum?

sounds alot like the ebay proxy bidding system!

Old 07-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Gary
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Dan Gallagher:
<strong>so you tell this thing what the absolute most your willing to spend is, and then if at the last second someone outbids you it will raise your bid upto that maximum?

sounds alot like the ebay proxy bidding system!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The other thing that occurs to me is that if everyone uses this tool, there's no advantage to its use (over the normal bidding system) ...

I thought e-bay worked on the basis that you put in your current bid plus your maximum (which remains hidden) and the system will automatically put in new bids (up to your maximum) when you are not the current top bidder. Is this what you are calling "proxy" bidding? Isn't this the same as this piece of software?
Old 07-23-2002, 01:31 PM
my944
Pro

[quote]sounds alot like the ebay proxy bidding system! <hr></blockquote>

Actually its different in that it withholds your bid until the last few seconds, then it puts it in and bids to win, up until your maximum. It gives the previous high bidder no time at all to outbid you if you beat their highest proxy bid.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:09 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

i bid on too many things that i dont need anyway, the more i lose the better off i am (or the better off my credit card is).
Old 07-23-2002, 02:09 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

i could of used his last night
Old 07-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

his what?

heh. this is sort of silly.. because .. yes.. if everyone uses it then it becomes useless

also.. supposedly.. you have a max that you are willing to pay for something.. so .. unless you are sitting there and just suddenly decide, at that last 20 seconds, that you really want it and want to bid more, you just will.. the sniper thing already has your max bid.. sure it wont even show till that last second.. so if there are NO bids and you just jam one in there at the end youll probably beat someone that popped one, lower, bid right before you.. giving them no time to react and outbid you.. but ide rather do it manually.. cuz.. its fun

still lurking here Jeremy? you need to get a beater 944 or something.. 500 bucks.. come on. you know i still have all the stuff you gave me.. i dunno what im gonna do with it! ill save it for you when you get your next 944 heh..
Old 07-23-2002, 02:29 PM
cmoss

regarding the ebay system...
It seems that their system of proxy might serve to inflate the number of bids--and hence--apparent interest in a particular item. Whereas esnipe would have just the opposite effect--hiding interest until the last instant.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:36 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Right, it masks your interest. I would not use it in a no-reserve auction where there are no bidders, as the seller might want to withdraw the item if he thinks there is little interest. Once there's pone bid, it can't be withdrawn. What you might want to do is place one low bid, then bid higher with e-snipe.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:28 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peckster, my brother is getting his 67 750 Atlas back together.Who would be a good source of Norton parts?
Old 07-23-2002, 07:43 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<a href="http://www.oldbritts.com/ob_start.html" target="_blank">http://www.oldbritts.com/ob_start.html</a>
<a href="http://www.walridge.com/default.htm" target="_blank">http://www.walridge.com/default.htm</a>

The first is in Seattle, the second Canada. I use Walridge because the prices are right and they ship really fast, I haven't used Old Britts.

I used to order direct from England when I had a big collection, but I can't be bothered now. Tell yer bro to pick up one of the vintage bike mags if he wants more, they all advertise in mags like Classic Bike.

Every part for a Norton is now available new, except heads apparently, and someone is probably working on them. I had my rebuilt 850 out last night, and I'd have to say here are very few stock machines that pull so hard off the line from 2 grand. You can feel the pulses in your arm sockets! Makes the 951 seem boring.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:10 AM
my944
Pro

Talking

[quote]still lurking here Jeremy? <hr></blockquote>

Hola Simon,

Forever lurking...kind of like a ghost looking for his soul, the soul being my 944 in this case...I am going to see about getting another 944 next season, depending on how things shape up with the casa.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Quick Reply: Be An Ebay Sniper...Win Every Auction!