Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption after valve job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 11:38 AM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil consumption after valve job?

My '86 951 has about 82k miles on it. Less than 2k miles ago I blew a headgasket and had the upper end rebuilt. The work was done by a very reputable shop. The car never used to use oil. I could run a whole weekend of DE and only use half a quart of oil. Now I seem to be using half a quart per 20 min session I checked the line to the intercooler looking for oil from a failed turbo seal but there isn't even a residue in there. The head was resurfaced and new guides were installed. I have maybe put 3-400 track miles on the car along with ~1500 road miles since the work was done.

Is there a break-in period? Did I do something wrong by running it on the track shortly after having the work done? They never suggested that I should do anything special, I even recall specifically asking about it.

It really makes me angry that this has happened. I will talk to the guys that did the work tomorrow. I have a DE at Road America and I will be watching the oil very carefully to see what the actual consumption is. It just stinks because it never had this problem before. What kind of recourse do you guys think I have? Is it possible to botch this job that bad? HELP!
Old 08-21-2002, 12:02 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
It does take some miles to break in the seals and guides. The best way to break in a head is 50 or 60 miles of highway driving at a constant speed. Heads love this.

If you break in the bottom end, traffic is good with varying RPM changes.

I would try some diffrent weight oil and see if that helps. A can of Rislone or STP would not hurt either for 1000 miles or so. That could help the cause.

Have you pulled the plugs and see how oil fouled they are?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:43 PM
Brent 89 - GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did at least 200 miles before running it hard, maybe more, I don't recall for sure.

I am running Mobil 1 15-50, I would think that is plenty thick, oil additives scare me.

I am leaving shortly to make my 8hr trek to the track. I will pull the plugs tonight and check them. Come to think of it, the idle is a little lumpy. I normally chalk that up to a rich mixture at idle due to the mods.

Thanks for the reply

Quick Reply: Oil consumption after valve job?