Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my love affair is no more

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

D Walker:

i actually said exactly that on the "Cool 944 LS1 build video" thread just about 1 hour ago !! 18 - 22 k !!

My estimates were set very high and [realistic] --- my guess is that it must have raised a few eyebrows.

what i wrote there:

...Done right -- 6.5k - 7.5 k for parts that are going under the hood, 40 - 50 hours labor, [can be another 6-7 k] there. LS2 engines are about 4-8 k without going nuts and taking the heads off for porting, etc, then a trip to the muffler shop, and engine tuning, 1 k.

= 18-22 thousand dollars.

But it will run like a new vette for a very, very long time with very few surprises... if your'e driving a 968 you could benefit from swapping taller 5th and 6th gears.

If you talk to Tony Garcia, he would be happy to do the work and he will give you exact quotes on parts. He takes things a few steps further than the Renegade guys but he's using their parts and then adding on.

He talks endlessly about brakes. Most of us have killer brakes and well-kept suspensions already, so...

http://www.tonygarcia.org/944V8/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pADH...eature=related

you can also read the "190 mph in a 944" thread

something else amazing: GM spent more than 1.5 billion dollars developing the first LS1 engines and they were just getting started... the lsx Gen III and IV engines weigh about 25 pounds more than the n/a porsche engines... research it: they come in about 20 pounds lighter than the porsche turbo engines. Jeremy Clark might say:

Four cylinder engines are the most heavy engines per unit of displacement yield - IN THE WORLD.

./
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would'nt take a chance on any of them parts, after 5 years the belts are starting to rote away, when I boutgh my 968 this summer the belts din't have that much mileages on them but had been on the car for a little over 5 years & there was fine line cracks in them, So we change evrything including the water pump you guys call it what ever you want I call it peace of mind .
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Mike951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor(s)

I have two running motors FS in Central Jersey. Come this week and hear them run if interested. Both 944 N/A motors, one is an '83 and the other is an '87. PM for details. I was looking to sell the whole '87, but may part. Belts just done in the '87...have receipt to show.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:35 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

It was my wish to make a final contribution to this thread and mention what an LSx conversion might actually cost...

There are so many variables but I decided to estimate for a high-end build, where I did no work myself...

if you go with the Renegade guys...

the parts are more expensive, but the quality is definitely there... there are of course, other vendors.

I am using Renegade for this estimate.

Unfortunately, the parts needed go well beyond their basic kit.

I have included a less-muddled, "additonal vital parts" list that follows...

--- Complete LS Series kit for Porsche 924S/944/turbo/968, hardware and instructions...

--- Custom adapter-bellhousing complete and pre assembled with hydraulic throw out bearing, custom hydraulic hose and fittings, and mounting hardware.

--- Custom 12 inch LS Series clutch disc with Porsche center spline.

--- motor mount kit complete with uprights, billet block plates, rubber isolators, and hardware.

--- Custom LS Series road race oil pan and pick up.

--- LS Series remote oil filter mount.

--- Renegade cross member and sway bar drop kit.

--- Custom 944 to LS Series pilot bearing.

--- brake master cylinder mount and pushrod.

--- Custom ignition coil mount bracket.

--- the above parts run $2,100, [not sold individually]

additional parts that you need to make or buy:

$1,100 CUSTOM CERAMIC COATED HIGH FLOW HEADERS: High temperature polished coating inside and out.

$245 CUSTOM REMOTE FILTER OIL LINES: One pair with all needed fittings.

$70 COOLANT TEMPERATURE, OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNITS: With correct VDO outputs.

$35 CUSTOM OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT ADAPTER

$335 HIGH PERFORMANCE STAGE-TWO YELLOW PRESSURE PLATE

$245 LS Series CUSTOM FUEL REGULATOR/FILTER/RETURN COMPLETE KIT:

With correct fittings for Porsche stock fuel lines.

$145 SWIVEL 180-DEGREE THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING: For added frame rail clearance over stock LS Series thermostat.

$130 / pr. CUSTOM BUILT POWER STEERING LINES: Cores required.

$78 [I combined 3 items]: LS Series/LT-1 RIGHT ANGLE THROTTLE BODY INTAKE BOOT: 4 inch to 3.5 inch, LS Series/LT-1 RIGHT ANGLE INTAKE BOOT: 3.5 inch to 3.5 inch, LS Series/LT-1 ALUMINUM 3.5" INTAKE TUBING

$85 LS Series TO 944 CUSTOM THROTTLE CABLE

$29 HEATER CONTROL H VALVE: The LS Series heater return loop must remain intact for the required bypass system designed into the motor. If you plan to run a heater, this type of H valve is required.

add $600-700 dollars for additional misc items that someone like Tony G. would need to get,

including, plumbing for routing a "hydrolic assist" to the master cylinder.

Source from salvage, or purchase the following items:

LSx crate, turn key engine with marine harness/fuel/engine management or salvage engine with:

FLYWHEEL and [pressure plate if you prefer not to use the Renegade HP plate]

GM LS Series CAMARO STARTER,

all accessories, ps, alternator, AC,

fuel rail, and intake, wiring harness, engine and fuel management control system,

Summit Racing or 944 Turbo radiator, and hoses.

I estimate the cost for a complete LS2, or LS3 turn key motor at anywhere from $7,500 to $9,000.

labor: figure about 50 hours, maybe $5,000 ? ?

Finally, a finished exhaust, engine tuning and break-in...

assuming you have completed your desired brake/suspension/lsd/driveshaft/gearing upgrades:

reaching for a calculator...

Renegade parts, $4,600
misc parts $ 700
turn key engine $7,500 to 9,000
exhaust and tune $1,200 ??

Before labor $15,200 to $16,700
after labor $20,200 to $21,700

stock 6th gear for a 968 is 0.778.

there is a 0.561, a 0.600 and a 0.660 gear available for the 968 G-46 box...

the 0.660 gear is my choice for the 968.

dunno about the 5 speed 944s.

Quick Reply: my love affair is no more