Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was it a bird? Was it a plane??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 03:41 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Was it a bird? Was it a plane??

Hell no! It was Steve racing a late model Trans Am, hahah! Go Steve! I didn't get to see the result because I had to exit but I'll bet Steve gave that guy a run for his *** all the way to San Francisco, lol.

So Steve, what happened? All I know is we got separated leaving Subway in Gilroy and I stopped to get gas at the Chevron off of Cochrane in Morgan Hill. Then an hour later I've got a loaded missle coming up behind me and realize it's TWO of you blowing past me!
Old 07-22-2002, 05:13 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROTFLMAO!!

After sitting in that damn traffic north of Gilroy on 101 for way too long, with a perfect coolant temp thanks to that new fan switch, I stopped in San Jose to get some gas. After that, I pulled back on the freeway and noticed how the vibration/overly rich condition was pretty much gone, thanks to the newly installed fpr and idle stabilizer.

Anyways, back to the story. I'm driving up 101 at about 80 mph, I come upon a Firebird in the lane to the right of me. He accelerates quickly and then slows down. So, I figured this guy wants some fun. I'm young and kinda dumb, so why the hell not! As I catch back up to him, I look at him, he looks at me, then he moves one lane to the right so he can maneuver around the cars in front of us. I change over two lanes and follow. It was pretty even, though it did look like he may have had just a tad bit more car than me. We continued like this for a little while, changing lanes and braking to avoid light late night traffic. Eventually, I was ahead of him in the fast lane and slowed down due to traffic ahead. He was behind me. I was feeling like a bad citizen and my appetite for dicing with him through the traffic was pretty much gone, so I was content to remain where I was.

I look in my rearview mirror and see this fu*king wacko driving on the shoulder, kicking up a huge cloud of crap, and passing both me and the car in front of me. At this point, I decide I should let darwin run his course with this guy and I continute my 80 mph pace back to San Francisco.

BTW, on another note, big thanks go out to Bill for sharing his place, tools, technical help, and television tuned to the F1 rebroadcast today for us Pcar enthusiasts!

**Just remember, Darwin always wins in the end!**
Old 07-22-2002, 05:08 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Is your 951 stock? Must be..
Old 07-22-2002, 05:17 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Dan87951:
<strong>Is your 951 stock? Must be..</strong><hr></blockquote>

'Nah. It has a K26/8, chips, and lbe. Good enough for 270 peak rwhp at the Seattle dyno day back in February. It's not the slowest car on the road, but definitely not the fastest either. I highly doubt that the firechicken was stock either. Heck, there are fwd k-cars that can do 10 second quarter mile passes. It'd be pretty damn stupid if my ego was damaged just because his car seemed to have a little more go than mine.

Driving like that on the freeway is not something I like to do that often. Our cars are pretty much too damn fast to be doing this kind of stuff with other pedestrian cars around. Besides, you never know when the other guy is going to do some crazy thing like passing on the shoulder.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:07 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve, what chips?
What fpr?

thanks,
Adrial
Old 07-22-2002, 06:12 PM
Jax951
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Lavigne:
<strong>fwd k-cars that can do 10 second quarter mile passes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Front wheel drive k-cars? Seriously? Which ones?
Old 07-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Jax951:
<strong>Front wheel drive k-cars? Seriously? Which ones?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.thedodgegarage.com/" target="_blank">This one!</a>
Old 07-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by adrial:
<strong>Steve, what chips?
What fpr?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The chips are SFR chips I purchased back in December '01 that are supposedly mapped to work with a K26/8 in a 24 pin dme. The fpr is just a stock 2.5 bar unit. <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=003924&p=" target="_blank">Here</a> is a link to the thread with some more information abou the dyno day. Unfortunately the dyno chart is no longer on the rennlist server. The car was rich till about 4500 rpms and then went lean above 5500 rpms. I don't think the chips I have are really suitable and I am planning on going with a different setup sometime soon.

Quick Reply: Was it a bird? Was it a plane??