Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing fuel lines....pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing fuel lines....pics

A friend replaced my fuel lines today and I played photographer. Here is a step by step on how to DIY. I used the basic kit from Rennbay...stainless was bit excessive for a normal use DD. IMO.

#1. Disconnect the battery...fuel can spray out. No picture as if you cant do this...it's best to take it to a shop.

#2 Disconnect the cruise control cable...

#3 Unscrew the two upper clamps...some fuel will come out as it's depressurizing the lines. Slide off the hoses...

#4. Cut into the lower "barbs" that connect the lines at the bottom. Careful not to cut too deep as this is just to create a means for the pliers to get a lip.

#5. Use pliers to carefully peel away the barb from the cut you made in step #4. If you look closely at the above picture, there is a greenish protectant/seal covering the end. You dont want to damage this.

Remove the outer heat shielding "cover" hoses. If they are in good shape, you can just re-use them. This is what the ends look like after removal...

#6. Place new hoses over the lower "nipples' and tighten new clamps. The return line was a bit tight so a dab of oil (someone recommended Pam cooking spray below) was used to lubricate it and slide on. Make sure these are secure and tight...unless you like engine fires.

#7. The Rennbay kit gives extra length hoses so some trimming is necessary. Measure with your finger and cut....

#8. Make sure you have the clamp on the hoses before sliding over the nipple and screw tight. Use a few plastic ties to secure everything and reconnect your cruise control cable.

#9. Turn you key to the first position for twenty seconds. Turn off and repeat. This rebuilds the fuel pressure. Then hopefully your car starts and there are no explosions...

Hopefully someone finds this useful....

BO

Last edited by BlackOp; 10-13-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I was going to have to do this after my new head goes on
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, when you are installing any kind of hoses that are a snug to tight fit, use PAM cooking spray to lube them for install.. It is biodegradable, will not eat paint or plastic or rubber and it will dissolve rapidly so there is no chance of the hose slipping back off when put to use. Using motor oil or wd40 is iffy because it remains slick for a long time. just a little tid bit for the masses. pam also works great for lubing o rings on fuel injectors.

Tom

Quick Reply: Replacing fuel lines....pics