Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4,000 RPM Cough, Stutter, Stuffy Head kinda problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Multipass
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RockStart, any luck solving this?
I am still stuck with mine
Old 10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
RockStar951
Rennlist Member

Still a work in progress. I did however make some head way.

I went and replaced my Braile racing battery for a Optima Red Top and swapped out my 3 bar fuel pressure regualtor for my stock. Upon driving the car it would still cough and stutter by not as bad. I could acutally make it through the RPM Band. This has been the first improvement since doing all the items listed in my first post. Thinking the Optima has more amperage then the little Braille.

The car has been under the knife since that drive. I have replaced the battery cables from the battery to the starter. The positive and the ground. I found that the original positive battery cable had breaks and cracks all over the insulation. It might have been grounding itself to the bellhousing under heavy load (theory). I also cleaned up the ground on the negative, both near the battery and on the back of the motor. I read some older posts staying this could be the cause. Others have installed all new cables and said it to be the miracle fix. Fixing quirky electrical problems like fan speed, certain lights shutting on and off, as well as just plain old running better.

The starter is also getting replaced. I have been having intermittent problems with it along with a battery drain so its out. The new one will arrive this week.

Mulitpass - I'm curious. Check out your battery cables on your car. What is the condition of the cables and grounding area.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Multipass
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip, I'll check the grounds and cables.
This could be the problem, as my battery keeps dying because the car sits all the time, but I charge it up with a trickle charger. The battery is normal size and is only a year old. Maybe it is the alternator not putting out enough juice.
I am waiting on a fuel rail and FPR and damper, so I'll check once those are installed, could be weeks from now...
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
RockStar951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Multipass
, as my battery keeps dying because the car sits all the time, but I charge it up with a trickle charger.
hummm my battery would go dead after a few days also.. We might be on to something.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:03 PM
RockStar951
Rennlist Member

SOLVED!

After my parts extravaganza I have finally fixed my stutter problem. I have replaced the positive and negative battery cables and cleaned up the grounding areas. The car is is now ripping through the gears!

Went through alot of parts and alot of labor hours on this issue. I'm so relieved to have this solved.

Now I'm going to put together of a build thread of my little 14 month project 951.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Multipass
Intermediate

That's awesome, thanks for the good news. I am still waiting on a replacement fuel rail. I'll tackle the battery cables.

Sometimes hope is the strongest motivator.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:55 AM
Multipass
Intermediate

RockStar, did you buy the cables or make your own? If you bought them, what was the best place?
Thanks and congrats on resolving the problems.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
RockStar951
Rennlist Member

I made my own battery cables. I used this thread as a reference.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ble-specs.html

I made my main positive to the 75" spec but it is alittle long. You can get some nice premade cable from Summit. The may length I saw were 65" This may or maynot be long enough, unsure. Get them swapped and post up the results

Quick Reply: 4,000 RPM Cough, Stutter, Stuffy Head kinda problem.