Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube Rattle 87 944 na auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 PM
toyhawker
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Tube Rattle 87 944 na auto

Hi All
Just looking for a second opinion on my very noisy 944. It rattles like a loose bolt flopping around in the torque tube. Using the hi-tech screwdriver to ear method, I'm 99% sure it's from the torque tube. Yeah,yeah, we've read all this before.

So I loosened the rear cinch, and checked the 3 flexplate to tc bolts. They were ok. If it helps the next guy, I backed the cinch bolt out too far and it got in a bind on the rear tt housing. Had to rock it around to where I could tighten it in a little bit. I used a jumper on the starter to line up bolts on the rear. Easy. Then tightened the rear cinch bolt. Started it up, no change in the noise.

Removed the starter and loosened the front front cinch bolt. I didn't check it first with the torque wrench, wish I had because it broke loose a little too easy. Book says there are 4 flywheel bolts to check, I could only see 9 small flush allen bolts and couldn't find any specs on them. They all seemed tight is the best I can say. Re-torqued the front cinch bolt and replaced the starter. No change in the noise. Still there. Baby runs very well otherwise.

Hopefully I've missed something here. If not, am I correct to assume that I need a torque tube? I sure appreciate any opinions offered. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Torque Tube Rattle 87 944 na auto