Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting issues - shift linkage boot getting in way?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Shifting issues - shift linkage boot getting in way?

I've recently installed a Weltmeister shift linkage and I'm having occasional problems shifting into gears. When I try to shift into a gear, it feels like I get a soft, rubbery resistance that prevents the shifter from putting it all the way into gear. (To put another way, the shift lever feels like it is running into something with some give.) The usual result is that it then pops back out of gear when I let off the clutch. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be annoying. The rest of the time it goes into gears nice and crisp.

Additionally, the majority of the time it happens is shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It also seems to happen the first time I shift to 1st from reverse, and the first shift to 2nd. After the first shifts, 1st and second are mostly fine.

What I think is happening is that the boot on the shift linkage is binding up with the heim joint and preventing it from articulating all the way. Does this sound right? Has anyone else run into this issue, or does anyone have any alternatives? I assume removing the boot wouldn't cause any issues except for the heim joint getting dirty faster?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

You'll need to re-adjust your shift linkage to get the throw correct.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting issues - shift linkage boot getting in way?