Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailight Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 PM
NYFlapjack2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some specific questions re: the tail light mod

1983 N/A 944....
I searched all over, found lots of talk on the tail light mod addition to blanks location... but it left me wondering mildly confused on some and wonder answers to:

1) I have a pair of used Red rear side markers coming off flea bay with all wires sockets and bulbs with em too..( I have 1 side lens cracked so replacing it) ...question 1...are the sockets in the rear side markers the same to fit in the empty spot on the tail light for this +2 tail addition?

2) re: the maximum current draw...I have the center light filler panel, remote license plate lights too....So question is if I add these 2 more lights as tail lights of same wattage as the normal 2 under the amber turns...(1983- I believe has 2 separate fuses?) am I over loaded at 10 to 12 (with side markers) bulbs there now?

3) Ok the empty spot was for fog light Euro purposes? So re: on this USA based car, does the empty blank spot wired in - actually emit more light straight out (with same wattage bulb) and not look balanced, but brighter and may be mistook for riding the brake? And then you use a lesser wattage bulb? (which is?) Or did I misread that thread and there are actually different lenses USA to Euro ?

4) I have added a 3rd level stop light....if I wanted to convert the 2 blanks into tail & stops with a 1157 type dual filament bulb/socket...Question is will I be overloading the brake light circuit now with 5 (vs 3) bulbs at 21w (I think) on a car which only had 2 OEM?
Old 10-10-2009, 11:46 PM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) I have a pair of used Red rear side markers coming off flea bay with all wires sockets and bulbs with em too..( I have 1 side lens cracked so replacing it) ...question 1...are the sockets in the rear side markers the same to fit in the empty spot on the tail light for this +2 tail addition?

I made this modification last year, including switching to all SuperBright LEDs, so if memory serves correctly, yes, those sockets and bulbs are the same, but it's been awhile...

2) re: the maximum current draw...I have the center light filler panel, remote license plate lights too....So question is if I add these 2 more lights as tail lights of same wattage as the normal 2 under the amber turns...(1983- I believe has 2 separate fuses?) am I over loaded at 10 to 12 (with side markers) bulbs there now?

3) Ok the empty spot was for fog light Euro purposes? So re: on this USA based car, does the empty blank spot wired in - actually emit more light straight out (with same wattage bulb) and not look balanced, but brighter and may be mistook for riding the brake? And then you use a lesser wattage bulb? (which is?) Or did I misread that thread and there are actually different lenses USA to Euro ?

Actually, many years ago, in Germany, I owned a Euro 944. The brake lights were actually in our "blank spots", the fog light was in our left brake light, right brake light was empty.

4) I have added a 3rd level stop light....if I wanted to convert the 2 blanks into tail & stops with a 1157 type dual filament bulb/socket...Question is will I be overloading the brake light circuit now with 5 (vs 3) bulbs at 21w (I think) on a car which only had 2 OEM?

Not sure, might be ok. If you use LEDs then really should be ok.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 AM
NYFlapjack2
Rennlist Member

Answered some of my own questions, and my set up now.....

1) I found my extra side marker light(s) plastic sockets, when harvested out of the s/marker, will fit in the rear sheet metal ground plane.

2) re: the maximum current draw, running with no blow fuses so far...read # 3....

3) In a hurry only found 2 bulbs, NAPA LMP 17311 = 10 watt variety... what their book calls for.
I found my car had the rear running lights were actually a lower or 5 watt bulb if memory serves me ...anyhow I experimented at dusk with both.

Perhaps you can see the empty slot was more a spot...per other thread searches...
On my tail lens with mod complete & “on” it does emit more light focused out straight not as diffused as the normal running tail lens.

In mixing & match... I placed the 5 watt bulbs in the new socket location,
And the 10 watt bulbs in the normal or old location running lights.

In the dark that looked most balanced to me, and not too bright like running with brake lights on too...
FWIW – I/phone quality - photo attached)
Brake lights on when pressed on 3 bulbs x 21watt shine over & above that so thought we’re ok...
(the other photo attached)

4) I have tabled my thoughts on the dual filament 1157 to empty slot for now as I had sockets for the above.....

Will be watching fuses and bulb life accordingly....
Attached Images   
Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That bumper is probably a older version
Old 10-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look carefully at the metal plate that the light bulbs go into, the running light socket has 5W next to it. Most of us probably have 10W bulbs in that socket. I took a look at a rear lens setup this weekend that I removed from our ChumpCar. The lens for the light we're all talking about is a little bit different than the running light in the bottom corner. 10W lights in that second socket (euro fog, whatever you want to call it...the one underneath the reverse light) is too bright to my eyes. A 5W bulb will likely be about right. I just gotta grab some 5W bulbs and take some photos for everybody.

Those of you using LEDs in those sockets, how does it look? Anybody want photos? I want to switch to LEDs (already did in 3rd brake light), but not sure how they'd look in our clusters.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:54 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

I should've done that, great idea!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
NYFlapjack2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wipeout
The lens for the light we're all talking about is a little bit different than the running light in the bottom corner. 10W lights in that second socket (euro fog, whatever you want to call it...the one underneath the reverse light) is too bright to my eyes. A 5W bulb will likely be about right. I just gotta grab some 5W bulbs and take some photos for everybody.

Those of you using LEDs in those sockets, how does it look? Anybody want photos? I want to switch to LEDs (already did in 3rd brake light), but not sure how they'd look in our clusters.

Yup we agree, I played at dusk & dark with all combinations and to my eyes the 10 watt in the old spot and the 5 watt in the "new" spot is about balanced.

... and I would like to see more details, directions, outcome and photos on LED's..the few LEDs I saw on other (not Rennlist) were posted as a spot back narrowed with it's beam too direct and needed some help diffusing to fill the lens evenly.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:47 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

I did this light mod today. What a difference it made. I have two 944's so far I have done one of them. Here are the pictures I just took of both cars. I used 5 watt bulbs.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Tailight Mod