Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S water pump replacment help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 07:19 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 944S water pump replacment help?

Can any one provide a detailed “how to” on water pump / belts / rollers / seals / anything else while I am in there replacement for an 87 944S? I did a search and found the topic discussed many times but no real nut and bolts “this is how ya do it” info.
This is something that I have been intending to do for a while and now it has caught up with me. It has been doing the seep a little bit once the engine cools down bit for about a month or so. Having just completed my own clutch replacement the water pump issue was on the back burner… till now. I walked out into the garage this morning to go to work and there was a HUGE puddle of coolant on the floor. I backed the car out into the drive way and just did not like the sound the engine was making so I shut her off and called a buddy for a ride to work. At lunchtime I caught a ride home and pulled the covers to see if anything else was visibly wrong. So I stared the engine with the covers off and intermittently the timing belt would “vibrate and slap” I shut the car off and am now scared to start it just to pull it into the garage. How tight should the timing belt be? I can push it all the way from the camshaft belt idler across to the water pump pulley with not much effort at all. Is this too loose?
My plan is to do this myself. How hard is it? I am somewhat mechanically inclined as I mentioned I have just been through the fun of clutch replacement. Any and all suggestions and help welcome.

IPSC
Old 07-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need to change it NOW. The job isn't hard, just a bit involved. Search the threads for anything waterpump related and get a copy of the factory manual to help out. Barring the factory manual, get a copy of the Haynes manual.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is an article in the April 2000 Excellence magazine written by 944 guru Jim Pasha that covers most of what you are looking for. With a copy of it and a Haynes manyal you can go a long way towards getting this job done.
Having never worked on an S I'm not sure of what value my '84 944 knowledge would be in doing this job.

Jim Cooper
'84 944

Quick Reply: 944S water pump replacment help?