Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller infant seat...or I have to sell the car!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A 6' tall friend of mine sat in the back seat of mine for a 600 mile trip last summer. I think he thought it was a 928 or something. Feet on one side, bum on the other. He still walks kind of funny, but he's getting better every day.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:25 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe me I know the feeling. Been going out of my mind driving my Toyota truck for almost a year with my Porsche tucked away 35 miles in a rented garage. I plan on making some big changes about this when spring breaks with road salt washed away.

It all depends on how much you invested in your 944 and if in fact yours is the 944. In my case it is the 951 with significant money and time vested. Hence the reason why I would rather shelf it then sell it. If yours is the 944 then yes you can always make a comeback with the ultimate 951. I've always liked the BMW 3 series especialy M3s :-). I forgot to mention when the blues really hits me I borrow my wifes Subaru Impreza. This little AWD feels like driving a slot car. If I had enough $$$ I'd make my winter sports car the WRX Impreza.

Peter Landy
'88 951 Gaurds Red
'66 Mercury Cyclone GT-390

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by AndyK:
<strong>I guess leaving the car in the garage, un-used (cept for a few hours a month) is a possibility, until Jenna gets bigger. But if that takes a year, I can't see living with driving a Taurus for that long!?

The other plan could be sell the 944, buy a BMW 325 coupe, like Tom R is doing, and when the kid(s) are old enough, I could buy another 944/968?

Quite the dilemma!?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">
Old 02-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 117 Likes on 85 Posts
Andy
If i get a bmw its gonna be the 3 series convertible. the coupe is almost as lame as our 944s.

I had a legend coupe before the aurora. the legend is closer in size to the 5 series, and it was damn near impossible to get a booster seat in the back for my 5 year old niece. not to mention she complained about lack of legroom when we took a drive to the berkshires.

by the way, we had a girl on sunday. over the summer i told people i wasnt sure the day she would be born, but she would be born the day of the big, really big blizzard. guess i called that one right. (swore she was a boy till the amneo came in - wrong, swore she would be early - wrong, swore she would come during the big blizzard - right).
Old 02-19-2003, 05:06 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CONGRATS Tom!! What's her name, details, etc??

So you sayin the 325 coupe is AS SLOW as the 158 hp NA?? Damn...
Old 02-19-2003, 07:00 PM
thomschoon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep the car in the garage, when my daughter was born I had a great M3, only problem was trying to get the infant seat into the back seat. I ended up selling it and getting a 4 door E-34 which I still have. She grew up in the car so she thinks every car should be that size and comfort, when my wife got her 03 C240, the little one asked why she got a cheap car instead of a nice car like dad. Took her to the toy store and bought her a present, kids are wonderful.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations Tom!

Andy, Joe was out of the backward facing seat in 6 months, never even got around to getting one for the 944. The 3 of us is still a little tight but we only take the Porsche a few times a year together (mostly to Autox's), the rest of the time we take "her car" (as I prefer to call the minivan). This too shall pass!

Thom, I drop my kid off at daycare on my way to work. One of the other dads has an E30 M3, it's a tight parking lot so we try to park next to eachother to avoid dings.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOLUTION for 944, but probably it works for most Porsches:

Mount the rear-facing infant seat at the center of the rear bench. It will jam nicely between the back-rests of the front seats. It may be a bit of an obstacle for the driver, but you have to live with it. Go to a junk yard and get two buckles + belt (from VW Jetta 198?, I think, fits fine, although looks slightly different), and make yourself the rear (adjustable) center belt. You'll have to use the rear-seat buckles in your Porsche to mount it. Naturally, you won't have any other seat belts in the rear...

That's what I used until my daughter outgrew it and now she uses a front facing child seat - no major problems here..

I don't think it is a legal solution, as seat belts are holy cows of safety inspections, but I found it safe. If you make it look factory-like, no cap will realize it's not factory installed. That's in case you get pulled over for speeding...

Good luck, Stan
Old 02-19-2003, 09:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stan--I'd like to see a photo of THAT!? How do you wind up finding two male buckles to mate with the female?

I tried putting the seat on the center hump. No way. There just isnt enough room with my seat back as far as it has to be.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:11 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
You missed the whole reason to own the Porsche. You have a kid. You will need the respit that the Pcar will give you. How do I know? I've got a 3 year old and 6 month old. Hey I love my kids but sometimes you need your time.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:26 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Andy

I have a similar issue...I chose a 4wd pickup as my company vehicle ( other choices were ford taurus, toyota camry, buick century, etc) so we have 3 vehicles....only one of which my son is able to travel in ( 16 months old )...looks like I'll be giving in soon....and switching to a different company vehicle...the 944 stays!
Old 02-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy,
I'll try to take some pictures, but it will have to wait a week or so - I'm quite busy these days both at home and at work.

As I mentioned before, you find the male buckless in a junk yard! one buckle from the rear center belt (this one will also allow for the length adjustment) and the other from the rear left or rear right side. Don't forget to cut out a piece of belt... And do the sawing.

You might need another infant seat! Not a front/rear facing convertible (too big), but a dedicated rear-facing. I bought mine in Wallmart. I think it is Evenflow or Century? It was quite cheap CAN$40 or CAN$50. I presume the selection in NJ is same as in Ontario.

I'm 5'8" tall and it was doable without moving my seat forward. If you're much taller than you might not be able to squeeze the infant seat in between. In such case you could put something 2-3" high between the infant seat and the center hump. This may help as the back rests of the front seats get narrower towards the top. Improvise! Ask your wife to move her seat a bit forward to make more room. It won't be perfectly centered but might work for you. Hey, sometimes it's good not to be tall...

If you succeed, you'll be rewarded with impressed/jealous looks of other drivers (especially guys who got stuck forever in a family minivan) who think Porsches are soooooo impractical.

That's it for now, Stan

Quick Reply: Smaller infant seat...or I have to sell the car!?