Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose injector to fuel rail seal........

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 04:32 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post loose injector to fuel rail seal........

i got my injectors cleaned, recal'd, new o-rings etc... from rc engineering. everything looks absolutly perfect w/ them and the flow charts show a nice improvement in volumn and pattern of spray. i inserted them back into the fuel rail and 3 fit very snug, but 1 feels a little loose. when i say a little loose i do mean im able to rotate injector w/ say half the effort it takes for the other 3. are the injectors at their "sealing point" sitting in the rail just bing held by the clips?...or will the pressure of the rail being bolted down hold the injectors at their "sealing point"? just trying for the easy answer before i break out the verneers tommorow. thanks again
Old 02-19-2003, 04:46 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The injectors should be seated when the c clip is put on. There is a little bit of wiggle to them, but it shouldn't be enough to matter. Which one is it that is loose? Have you tried moving it to a different spot? What are you using to put them back in(lube)?

They should be completely seated when the rail is bolted down. If it doesn't seem that it is seating all of the way, don't try to pull it down with the bolt. It is very easy to strip. I'm not sure if this is the best advice, but put it on and start up the car. After the car completly warms up, make sure that their isn't any gas bubbling around the seal. I'm sure there is another way to test it, but I just don't know what it is!
Old 02-19-2003, 05:46 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If these are stock injectors, be very, very careful about putting any kind of a lateral load on them when you're installing them. That's because the joint at the plastic & metal halfs can develop a gap very easily when you have bending loads on the injectors (ask me how I know ).

I actually prefer to install them without the chips. Then after the rail is bolted on and the injectors are fully seated on both ends, then I put the clips on. They're really there so you can pull off the rail and have all four injectors go with it.

Sauerkaut, please email me a scan of your injector flow report from RC, I want to compare it to other stock injector reports I have.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:05 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Danno:
<strong>If these are stock injectors, be very, very careful about putting any kind of a lateral load on them when you're installing them. That's because the joint at the plastic & metal halfs can develop a gap very easily when you have bending loads on the injectors (ask me how I know ).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">After you ask him, ask me how I know he is probably telling the truth!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:33 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have tried installing the injector in other spots w/ same results. im lightly using atf for lube. from previous warnings from danno and others i've been especially careful of avoiding lateral loads on the injectors. i'll use the no clip method when reinstalling the injectors (method makes sense) but my cars literally buried in snow at the moment. i was considering pressurizing the rail and seeing where it leaks but since the clips are only from removal that shouldn't yield any usable results. danno do you have a fax if so i can get it to you by (your) lunchtime?...my scanners been on the fritz and i've been putting off reinstalling the drivers (pure laziness) which i can do late tonight/early tommorow. thanks again guys!
Old 02-19-2003, 02:52 PM
RS 2.7
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my problem was the other way around. Everything sealed fine w/ the rail but one of my injectors wouldnt go down far enough into the intake manifold. It turns out I cleaned all the carbon junk in the holes and now they all go down much deeper. At first, i could still easily see the o-rings! she is nice and sealed now though
Old 02-19-2003, 03:00 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
While we're on the topic, should you be able to turn the injectors while they are seated and the fuel rail is bolted down to the motor?
Old 02-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes you can turn the injectors when everything's bolted together. They just pivot inside the O-rings. This really comes in handy when you're swapping injector connectors (imagine two different harnesses in the car).

Quick Reply: loose injector to fuel rail seal........