Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 08:19 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The DME is in the passenger footwell, under the carpet. If you pull back the carpet, you should see a plywood plate, remove the screws holding it down, and take out the plate. This will expose the DME/KLR (at least on a 951). The DME relay is in the fuse box. Check the relay diagram pasted in the top of the box for which relay is the DME. Given the fact that you can start it by grounding the block, I think that your problem is electrical in nature, and not your fuel pump. You could have a connection that fails when the engine is hot and things expand. I had a similar problem with the speed/reference sensor connector at the back of the intake manifold. Mine had an intermittent connection and made troubleshooting quite interesting. Throw in a flakey DME relay and it made the problem even more interesting. I finally wound up doing a major clean up job on the connectors and firmly reattaching them to their brackets, and replacing the DME relay. HTH

Dave
Old 08-14-2002, 09:43 PM
94415atocrosswanabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finaly tested my fuel pressure today, it seems fine. 32-33 psi at idle, 40psi with the vacume line pulled off. Matches the hyenes manual recomendations. One thing i noticed today is that the power window relay G7 and gets really-really hot, after only a few minutes of ideling. the dme relay also gets quite warm.
I was wandering where the cam timing and speed reference sensors are so that i can check them for any problems.
Thanks matt
Old 08-15-2002, 07:07 PM
94415atocrosswanabe
Instructor

any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:35 PM
Sasha
Instructor

Was the fuel pressure ok when the car heated up and died? Did some pressure remained right after the car died?

It won't be crank reference sensor, otherwise the car woudn't start at all. It could be connection to it though...

Pull the power window relay off, see if the problem remains. If it dies, put the windows relay back and re-place the DME relay - it is just a $25 relay. Should be replaced just for maintanence.

Check the temperature sensor (do fans come one? Does the car die as fans come on?) If it is temp. related event, it might be something to do with wires associated with engine temperature.

Check the cold start valve, it might be the problem since it operates when the car is cold only... On mine, when the car is called and key is in the first posion - the cold start vavle "hums". It stops once the car is hot (I think). It is located under the intake manifold you could use the long screwdriver to listen for noise...

Otherwise, it would be pretty hard to find.

Listen to injectors, make sure they are all firing (a long screw driver touching one at a time)...

Finaly, could be you DME (I would check it last though...)

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2002, 12:36 PM
94415atocrosswanabe
Instructor

My car does not die, it wont start up when it is hot. I could not remove the flywheel sensor to inspect it. The hotter the car is the harder it is to start. for instance, I go for a 10 minute drive and the park and turn the car off, then i come back five minutes later, car will not start. About 45 minutes later the car will start after about 15 seconds of cranking then the car runs fine, untill I turn it off again.
Im thinking mabey its the fuel pump check valve, But im still looking for ither solutions.

Quick Reply: car wont start when hot