Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack play?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 04:15 PM
Simon Jones
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Steering rack play?

I've just had my early '85 944 checked out before I get her back on the road after a 6 month layoff, and the mechanic tells me there's play in the steering rack - on the passenger side only. Odd - I'd'a thought there'd be play in both sides... Anyhow - can it be adjusted? The useless Haynes manual says zilch about the rack...

Also I need to replace some of the brake pipes, and Haynes warns against using copper pipe - why? If I make sure it's properly supported along its length, what's the problem?
Old 02-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Most play in the steering has to do with the U-joints just above the rack. It can be caused by worn joints, or just not having the bottom joint tight on the spline of the steering rack. There is a bolt to tighten it to the spline on the bottom U joint.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:25 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know about the brake question but read just last night that there is an adjustment for play on the manual PS rack. See factory repair manual. Like you said, I would guess that is for play in both directions though. Could it be the mech was referring to a little slop in the right hand tie-rod end? Thats my only guess...Bruce
Old 02-18-2003, 04:29 PM
JLeake
Racer

There is a plastic bushing on the passenger side that can wear out (say if you have a misbalanced wheel for some time). On the driver side there is a spring loaded metal bushing that keeps the rack against the gear so I can't see that side 'wearing out'. Sounds like you need to rebuild your rack, or have someone do it for you. SFLRaver sells kits with instructions, or you can order the kits from Transtec. I rebuilt mine, but it was not the easiest job. Rebuild #2 would be relatively quick though now that I have that experience under my belt.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Simon Jones
Track Day

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by F18Rep:
<strong> See factory repair manual.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I can't afford a factory repair manual! I saw one on the web some time back, but I've lost the reference - can anyone point me to it, please?
Old 02-19-2003, 06:12 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

<a href="http://www.ninefiveone.com/tech.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ninefiveone.com/tech.htm</a>
Old 02-19-2003, 08:28 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

OMG!!!! THe holy grail of all Porsche Documentation!!!!

I'm downloading the whole thing now! This won't be here much longer boys!! Snap it up you can!!!
Old 02-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Simon Jones
Track Day

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by UUTQ:
<strong><a href="http://www.ninefiveone.com/tech.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ninefiveone.com/tech.htm</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Thank you VERY much!

Quick Reply: Steering rack play?