Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joining the Headgasket failure club - advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Fishguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Joining the Headgasket failure club - advice plz

Well, I'm pretty sure the head gasket is gone now. It's an '84 944 with 41k miles on it so far.

Over this last week (after a radiator replacement), I've had starting troubles. I first got a low, rough, stumbly idle for ~30 seconds after starting, which after a few days, progressed to stalling at idle and finally there was a sizable puff of white smoke out the exhaust as I revved out of the neighborhood yesterday.

To be certain it was the headgasket, as per advice from this forum (you guys are awesome!), I vented the cooling system right after parking it for the night.

Today, it started up smoothly and without issue.

While the dipstick appears to have clear oil at the level it was weeks ago, there was a spot of brown foam further up the stick, and a barely perceptible sheen of brown gunk under the oil filler cap.

I had just replaced the radiator which had a very slow leak for the last couple months, which graduated to vicious spraying about 3 weeks ago. I figure the HG went out with that or around then, and I've only noticed the issue now that the cooling system can keep pressure and leak into the cylinder(s) after shutdown. Subsequently, the coolant is new and doesn't seem to have oil in it, though I'll change it anyway.

So, how seriously do I need to concern myself with the coolant in the oil? I seem to have caught it before a full blown milkshake. Are there any engine components I should replace, or is it enough to just change the oil for the HG replacement and then again after a hundred miles or so?

I've put a headgasket kit in my cart and I'm wondering what else should I service while I'm in there?
I hope to get this fixed before the last two Auto-crosses of the season next weekend (unlikely, but I can hope, right?)

The waterpump, belts and front engine/cam seals are good (replaced in '07 - updated waterpump)

Thanks in advance
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ust did a H/G recently and replaced all the stuff you did in 07 but i also resealed the front of the engine, cam tower, Oil cooler since i was in there and its a breeze to do while the head is off.

Mark
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have two repairs and they can be done at the same time.

Head gasket and oil cooler seals.

Venting the cooling system is only one test that should be done. You should do a leak down test. If the head gasket is bad, the leak down test will show bubbles in the overflow reservoir or you could hear it in the tail pipe. You should also do a compression test before you do a head gasket change. Remember to disconnect the DME relay or you will wash the cylinders with gas.

The milkshake is normally caused by the oil cooler seals. It is very easy to change the oil cooler seals when you remove the head and exhaust manifold.

You have to remove the milkshake from your cooling system and crankcase. Before you do the HG, put in a half bottle of SeaFoam for a few miles. Run the car and dump the oil and filter.

For the cooling system, DO NOT USE a HD radiator cleaner. This will cause more leaks by the hose connections and may damage the radiator by the plastic seam and cause more leaks. Remove the coolant reservoir tank and clean. Back flush the radiator. With the hoses off run a rag through the top and bottom radiator hose. Before you add the final new coolant, add a couple of drops of quality dish soap to the cooling system with water and run for a few miles and drain and flush again and again.

If you do not remove the milkshake from the crankcase, you will damage your rod bearings. Porsche recommends replacing rod bearings if milkshake is present.

The list of WYAIT is very long when you do a HG.

GL
John_AZ
1988 924S + 1987 924S
Old 09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Fishguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'll go ahead and do the extra seals, oil cooler, seafoam and dishsoap flush after I get a leakdown test (assuming there isn't more wrong)

thanks

Quick Reply: Joining the Headgasket failure club - advice plz