Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack - photos included

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 03:13 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Red face Steering rack - photos included

Need help in identifying what the steering rack is missing. It seems like a plug, but since it is broken I have no idea what it looks like and the part number for it...

Anyone can shed some light on this one?? It is leaking and I do not want to replace the rack for just that...

Thanks!

---

Old 08-03-2002, 04:47 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i jsut rebuilt the steering rack on my 944 about 5 times. they kept sending non-working ones. some place called partwerks in chicago. so now i have 4 non working racks in my garage hanging on the wall. but anyway, i remember that same thing. theres a hole next to the pump were it looks liek something should be. i thought i remembered there being a rubber stopper there but i never found one under the car. so i jsut put some gunky stuff on there. then it hardened into the shape of the hole so i can take it out if i ever wanted to but it still plugs it up. i was kind of worried maybe it was a air intake of some sort for cooling or something but i havent had problems other than leaky bolts. i hate those stupid things. i have to refill my power steering fluid at least once a month.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:43 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The good news: that part has no important function

The bad news: there should not be any fluid coming out of that hole

That hole is access to the rack centering divot - a special Porsche tool (pointy bolt) can be used to set the rack to dead center for installation and alignment. Most folks use a small ball bearing on the top of a properly sized bolt (can't recall right now) to accomplish this.

That area should be free of any fluid - my guess is that you have an end seal leak forming... you can try to plug it, but that may not last long.

Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2002, 11:17 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I purchased a used rack from Ian's here in ft.lauderdale and it had a little blue stopper in the hole. It kept taking fluid for about a week but I couldnt see any leaks on the ground under it. When I pulled the plug out about a half a quart of fluid ran out on the ground. It was filling up both boots and the inside of the rack. Any way, I got a seal kit and rebuilt it and now it works ok. It looked like only one of the end seals that was bad but I just replaced them all since I had the kit. No more leaks.

Quick Reply: Steering rack - photos included