Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 944 dead 5 hours from home

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 12:25 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Post 84 944 dead 5 hours from home

Hi there,

I am working about 5 hours from where I live and unfortunetly my 944 has died.

I would like to describe the symptoms to see if anyone can help me narrow the problem down.

Yesterday when leaving the plant where the car was parked, it died on the way out. The car would start and run poorly. I had to keep it floored to maintain the idle. I drove it into town and put a tank of gas into it. The car ran badly, was misfiring and running extremely rich. (Black soot from muffler)
This morning the car was even worse. I could barely get it to start for a few seconds and then it would die. If I was pumping the gas it was start up and sputter and fire and then die out. Once again running super rich.

Previous to this failure I was having some problems with the idle. The idle would oscilate up and down between 800 rpm and 1500 rpm every 10 seconds. (Like you were sitting there revving the engine) When the idle was stable it might be at any rpm between 500 and 1500.

It will be very expensive and slow for me to get this car fixed in this small town. Any information that can narrow this down and suggest a temporary field fix would be great.

Previously I have had problems with the DME relay and the throttle position switch. I know its not either of these.

please email me at:

kfirth@mailcity.com

With any suggestions you might have. ( I cant get at my regular email from here)

Thank You
Kirk
Old 03-06-2003, 12:30 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wherabouts are you? The emergency list should be of use here...
Old 03-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Mikey Mason
Racer

It might good to let someone know where you are....chances are there is someone closeby that might be able to help....just a suggestion.Might want to consider joining Rennlist as a paying member..trust me..it will pay for itself right away if it hasn't already.

Michael
Old 03-06-2003, 01:28 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Definitely Kirk. Where are you.

Been having a lot of these poblems as of late.

Is it wet where you are? How old are the wires.

Unfortunately it could be reference sensors.

And what the hell. You can get a coil for less than 20 bucks, that's what happened to me. Didn't notice soot on my end but I had other thoughts going through my mind.

Other possibility is the O2 sensor, sounds like it could be running rich.

Check the dist and rotor, make sure it looks okay in there.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:07 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Unfortunetly I am in a small town in Central Saskatchewan, Canada so I am in the middle of nowhere.

Its -20C here so not a problem with water. Its VERY dry.

There isnt another porsche for a zillion miles.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:26 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Got any snowshoes?

Basically your in a position like I was a couple of weeks ago. The short term answer is not a matter of what the problem is, but what can you do where you are. What parts can you get, and what can you cobble together (feel comfortable doing in otherwards)
Old 03-06-2003, 02:26 PM
BigPorscheGuy39
Banned

O2 sensor or your fuel distributor.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:14 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Addendum: after sitting inside the garage for 6 hours, they tried starting the car and it started and ran fine. So whatever the problem is its temperature dependent. Does anyone know which temperature sensor on the engine takes care of cold starts (On the 84 N/A models I think its different than everything after 85.5)

I know there is a temperature sensor right near the air flow sensor and throttle sensor. Is that it or is that sensor for the dash guage?

Any other ideas what would cause this?

thanx for all the help

kirk
Old 03-06-2003, 06:10 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by KirkF:
<strong>Addendum: after sitting inside the garage for 6 hours, they tried starting the car and it started and ran fine.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Could be frozen gas line or too much water in the gas tank from condensation. Some gas line antifreeze would help that.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts
I've had a problem similar to this on a different car. The temp sensor for the FI failed, send crazy signals to the brain, and the car would flood immediately. I pulled the wire off of that sensor until I could replace it and it more or less worked.

-Joel.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:30 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Joel,

I think you are on the right track, in the case of this car, pulling the temp sensor wire causes the sensor to default to -40, Jumpering across the wire should make it look like +40 and run very lean. So far today the car has run as far the plant site and it hasn't screwed up. Now it has to sit outside at -25 all day and then start agin at 3:30 to drive me home.

Now if I could just figure out why the idle oscillated so badly...

Kirk
Old 03-09-2003, 12:37 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

For your idle problem, look to the Idle air control valve/solenoid. The IAS uses an open signal to open a small passage in the throttle body to increase the air flow for various reasons. If it is stuck in one of the more open positions it will cause the rpms to increase due to increased airflow, computer will note throttle switch is open (no pressure on accelerator) and reduce fuel flow to counter rising rpms, engine will "fall" below idle, computer rectifies by increasing fuel, rpms rise, and so on and so on and so on.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:55 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where in Saskatchewan?
Old 03-09-2003, 05:19 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IIRC, copious black smoke is often caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Quick Reply: 84 944 dead 5 hours from home