Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference sensor/screw questions (fidanza)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:50 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reference sensor/screw questions (fidanza)

I put my motor back together and am now realizing that my reference screw height isn't right because my fidanza flywheel is a larger diameter than the stock flywheel. Does anyone with a fidanza know what height they set their screw to - or can I figure this out by adjusting the speed sensor and lowering the screw accordingly?

My other problem is I wasn't too smart when removing my sensors, I removed the bracket arm. Now when I put the bracket arm back in place, the reference sensor literally touches the flywheel. What am I missing here?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Scroll to the bottom:
Adjusting Sensor Clearance
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ign-02.htm
Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Yeah I had already read the clarks-garage instructions, but I don't see how it addresses my issue. My issue is that I am actually hitting the flywheel with my sensor, it seems my sensor is too long or needs to be adjusted somehow. This seems to be adding height to the sensor by gluing a washer to it.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by amirpc
This seems to be adding height to the sensor by gluing a washer to it.
No, the washer represents the air gap or physical clearance between the sensor and the flywheel. You remove the washer at the end of the procedure. Maybe I don't understand your problem...
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Maybe I don't understand my own problem, I'm going to go take these instructions over to my car tonight and look at it again.

BTW - Hey fellow Austinite. South Austin guy here
Old 08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by amirpc
Yeah I had already read the clarks-garage instructions, but I don't see how it addresses my issue. My issue is that I am actually hitting the flywheel with my sensor, it seems my sensor is too long or needs to be adjusted somehow. This seems to be adding height to the sensor by gluing a washer to it.
I'll preface by saying that I don't know your exact setup...

I don't recall my fidanza being any different in size compared to the steel OEM wheel. Are you sure you didn't get the wrong one? The 951 and 944 flywheels are different sizes. If the reference sensor is hitting the actual aluminum part of the wheel, then it's way too close. Did you make sure to reinstall the spacer? I screwed that one up and used my starter ring to do a highspeed gap of my speed sensor. It ran until the sensor got too chewed up to function.

My biggest emphasis would be to turn the engine over by hand a few times before trying to start it to make sure that nothing is contacting the bell housing or sensors.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
I'll preface by saying that I don't know your exact setup...

I don't recall my fidanza being any different in size compared to the steel OEM wheel. Are you sure you didn't get the wrong one? The 951 and 944 flywheels are different sizes. If the reference sensor is hitting the actual aluminum part of the wheel, then it's way too close. Did you make sure to reinstall the spacer? I screwed that one up and used my starter ring to do a highspeed gap of my speed sensor. It ran until the sensor got too chewed up to function.

My biggest emphasis would be to turn the engine over by hand a few times before trying to start it to make sure that nothing is contacting the bell housing or sensors.
So I've done a lot of reexamining and I was just confused. First of all it was only hitting because I hadn't mounted the bracket yet, because .8mm is freaking small.

Second of all, I didn't realize the purpose of the washer was as a measuring device for some reason I thought it was to lengthen the sensor

Anyhow everything makes a lot more sense now.

Quick Reply: Reference sensor/screw questions (fidanza)