Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil press gauge flicker??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 05:07 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post oil press gauge flicker??

My oil press gauge will flicker around 2 - 3 bar, but will hold steady above 3 bar. Replaced the sending unit, cleaned the connections, removed the instrument cluster and cleaned and tightened its connections and cleraned and tightened the grounds by the fuse box.
I hear this is a common issue. Anything else I can look for?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2003, 05:59 PM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your main engine ground may be shot, does your temp gauge move when you turn the lights on?
Old 01-31-2003, 06:59 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not that I want to spoil your day but. . . My Oil Pressure guage would bounce around at idle/low RPM, was fine at higher RPM. I had it checked out and a mechanical guage showed no flicker. The condition continued for a long time and I just attributed it to the car's idiosyncrasies. Last summer a rod bearing (you know which one) crapped out. After the rebuild nice steady Oil Pressure Guage. I had read that this was a symptom of weak bearings and I am not sure how that variation would manifest itself but I do wish I could have spent the $$$ to drop the pan and get the bearings fixed before it was a crisis than the $$$$ to have the motor removed and stripped and to replace all the extras (oil cooler etc.) that must be done after bearing failure. Good luck, I hope it's just electrical.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:03 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the engine ground is OK...The temp gauge is rock steady. I also added another engine ground and checked the current from battery neg to engine with a full electrical load. 10ma current, 5 ma with all acc. off.
BTW, I have never heard that the flicker of the gauge was a sign of a bad bearing, especially if a mechanical gauge read steady. I would be more inclined to think that your engine grounds were repaired when the engine was removed.

Quick Reply: oil press gauge flicker??