Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which radio
The Blau
85.29%
The JVC
14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Which radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Joe944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell, my stereo hasn't been able to play CD's for a couple years now. :P

Finally picked up a new one, a Sony CDX - GT630UI because it has the USB port on the front. I don't foresee myself needing anything but the USB honestly.

Once that's wired in only the speakers are left.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a JVC in my 928 and a Hamburg in my 944. Both are great and no complaints.

This is my opinion and my opinion only from my experiences with my vehicles.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:28 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no kidding, i bought a brisbane sd45. it looks good in the dash, you can change the display colors, has an sd card slot, and no cd player. i love it.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Teeson
Intermediate

what size are those JLs? looks awesome though, how does it sound? also what and where is the amp?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here it is installed along with my working central locking. Sorry for the bad pic.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Banshee
Instructor

If you dont mind me asking how much was your setup? And for a poor college student (who isnt planning to sell the 944 no matter what), how much could i get a decent sound system for for cheap? Best bang for the buck? etc.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

What are you going for? Bass or a well rounded setup?
What is your current head unit?
Budget?
Well so far I have ~$175 in my speakers, Infinity Reference Series 6.5's in the rear and 4x6's in the doors. I think it sounds decent, not enough bass, yet.

Head unit wise I have yet to buy one. I have either had them from other cars or gotten them for free in parts bins.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Teeson
what size are those JLs? looks awesome though, how does it sound? also what and where is the amp?
They are 10"s, the box volume is pretty small and sealed so the sound is really tight. They mix in with the front soundstage pretty nicely and it absolutely kicks *** for rock. Very punchy. Hip hop still sounds good but its not boomy so it doesn't sound retarded. Its powered by an MBquart amp that i got off ebay for cheap and its rated 200x2@4ohms. The amp rack is in the spare tire well, and there are 2 other amps and a 1 farad cap in there as well.. I check the drains religously.

Heres the rack before i hooked it up

rack is hooked up in this one. sorry about the fuzzyness on this one, my old camera sucked like that.

The front soundstage when the door is closed

Heres what i did for the rear speakers, its a metal plate we cut out on a bandsaw to hold the tweeter. Camera Phone pic :P

Heres the rear of the sub box as promised
Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Banshee
Instructor

What are you going for? Bass or a well rounded setup?
What is your current head unit?
Budget?
Well so far I have ~$175 in my speakers, Infinity Reference Series 6.5's in the rear and 4x6's in the doors. I think it sounds decent, not enough bass, yet.

Head unit wise I have yet to buy one. I have either had them from other cars or gotten them for free in parts bins.
I'm definitely looking for the most optimum setup in terms of having enough bass to satisfy my needs...that meaning the Hip hop sounds good, the techno/trance/breakbeat hits pretty good, and the classic rock is kickin.

In terms of budget, i honestly don't know what i want to spend ...i should probably figure that out first though aye?

Honestly man, here is the problem. In terms of giving you the info you need to advise me for something, i have no idea what to tell you except for these things. I have, or at least i am 95% sure that i have the stock radio from all the way back in 88. Its pretty damn old, and about the 2 speakers in the front and the speakers right behind the seat...lets just say they have absolutely no lower frequency and not enough mid range frequency, but they do get some pretty good highs, thats why if i could figure out a good amp setup and a woofer setup then i figure id be set for a while. But that explains my lust for the bass, because at the moment i have absolutely none lol.

If anyone else has any ideas that would be sweet. Thx.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Teeson
Intermediate

well first things first.. new deck. i have a 94 honda accord as my DD, and i put in a sony xplod deck, made all the difference in the world, even with the stock speakers. your sound quality is only as good as the system sending it to the speakers.

anyway figure out a budget and if you have room for a sub or 2
Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Banshee
Instructor

See thats the thing man if i went a little bit further than im thinking on my woofer setup, id totally do what this one guy did on rennlist here, id have to dig up his thread, BASICALLY he took 2 subs and put them under the back carpet above the wheel wells...kind of hard to explain but if you read his post you probably know what im talking about.

Basically id have to custom make or get the dimensions from him, a trapezoidal box so that i dont have any crappy boomy sound and just have clean yummy hitting bass. But yes that totally makes sense, i probably wont need to change my stock speakers, just get a new deck first, see how they sound, then an amp and then my subs and go from there. If theres any holes in my logic please let me know .

Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Dougs951
Race Car

If the speakers are in good shape then adding a new headunit will make a big difference, it will also make a separate amp/sub combo easier to hook up. Are the speakers the stock paper?

Also I remember the thread you are talking about. You should be able to make those sub boxes yourself.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Teeson
Intermediate

isnt is KLA industries that does that?

http://www.klaindustries.net/subwoofer/subwoofer-1.htm
Old 09-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Banshee
Instructor

Wow nice find Teeson, i guess that works as well. And sure, i could do it myself but in terms of having the handy skill for building things from scratch, i suck at it. So KLA could be an option.

In terms of being the stock speakers....who knows. Doug, if you dont mind i can post some pictures of my own if that helps answer your questions, i almost know they will better than i can.

I will try to see if i can get them up tommorow.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Banshee
Instructor

WOW man sorry for taking so long, still getting used to how busy things can get once college classes take up your whole week.

Ok so here are the pics. Basically, i have decided/concluded that i definitely have the stock stereo, its just the speakers that im not sure about. Especially if you notice the superglue that got dried on from the previous owners fantastic work, they could be stock, they could be newer ones. Can you tell from the pic?

Anyways, the good news is my friend has a newer stereo that he wont need so hes going to give it to me and help me hook it up, and then i can go from there. Hopefully if these speakers are stock they won't be blown out from the modern power output of the new stereo I'm getting heheh.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Which radio?