Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure or NOT.. questions- oprv?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my oil pressure valve fail (the old style 3 piece with spring and piston), when the piston it rides in came loose from the block. I had the engien idle for 5 minutes or so with no oil pressure (I left it to idle in the garage.......) when I came back the engine sounded horrible really loud lifter ticking so I shut it off eventually found the problem and fixed it.

if you shut it off right away you should be fine. I had metal shavings in my oil last oil change but I had the engine idling for 5 minutes.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM
joonas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gulliver
RESOLVED

tiny piece of metal (?!) in oil passage hole had the OPRV blocked from sliding. Looked about like a baby's pinkie fingernail clipping-a little shaving from something stripped is what it looked like. Not good, but all else looked good, cleaned and reinstalled it, 5 bar on cold startup, as normal. Thanks for the help guys!

Now I need to change the oil and hope I don't find more..
Thank you for letting us know what solved the problem!

Was the OPRV stuck full open or just a little?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Joonas, it was only blocked open a very little- but the car had no pressure whatsoever. I was relieved to find the tiny piece in there- just a freak thing, I hope. Just pushed the valve in with a small screwdriver and tapped it on the floor twice- it fell right out. Slid perfectly with no obstruction after that. It looked like where a small screw has stripped- you know the little coils of metal you can thread off of a stripped screw- a very very short section of that. No telling where it came from and I hope I don't find more!

thanks again to all for helping diagnose this, great help as usual!

Quick Reply: Oil pressure or NOT.. questions- oprv?